STILL no 4.3L :(

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I've been looking for a 4.3L for quite a while to replace my 470. I was fairly diligent looking for donor motors and junked hulls this offseason without much success. The ones that I found were '80's vintage. V8s are more plentiful, but I'm very wary about adding even more weight to my light hull. Also realized that I don't have the room or time to store a junk hull, but I don't want to sink a stupid amount of money into a 30+ yo hull. The bobtails I was looking at are $5k+. Really even $3k would probably not be sensible. So do I have any other options? I'd like to pull and freshen a vortec truck engine, and then try to source the rest of the parts individually maybe, realizing that this will be a lot more expensive than a junk hull, but might be more realistic to source the parts over time and store them. That being said, can anyone help me with a *complete* list of parts I'll need? The truck longblock will be easy to find, so let's assume that whatever year is best will be the one I get.
I'll start:

1. Carb (4 bbl).
2. Intake/exhaust manifolds, risers (would probably need to replace the exhaust bits anyway)
3. Y-pipe
4. Coupler
4a. Any other back of the engine bits that I'd need or would vary between years? Does the coupler just bolt on to the standard auto flywheel?
5. Starter
6. Alternator (Can use my current one)
7. Brackets...can I pull these off an auto engine? Do newer engine use serp belts, would that be preferable?
8. Oil pan/dipstick, are these different?
9. Wiring harness? I think these are fairly similar.
10. Ignition. Would probably be better with Delco than finding a used TB setup I'd guess
11. PS: Would rather not have the added complexity and freeze point of PS, could I delete this easily? My boat has ZERO need for it...
12. Exhaust flappers (see, these are the type of things that I'll forget about and will start to add up...)

So what am I forgetting? Going to try to fire up the 3.7 for the first time this spring tomorrow, hopefully nothing is going to force my hand before fall :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Manual transmission flywheel

You need the ps cooler, no way around it

Marine accessory drives are not auto

There are 6 generations of 4.3, first 3 used v-belts

Plenty of 4.3 mid 90s boats under $1000 on CL, you may need to drive a bit

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Cool. Are flywheels interchangeable between generations? Might take some looking, but I bet there's a 5sp truck out there.
If the brackets are different, that might actually be the toughest thing to find individually--are you saying that I'd need either marine-specific v-belt brackets or marine-specific serp brackets? (If so, I guess I just find what I can).

The space is a huge issue, time significant as well. No problem driving. Literally no where to keep yet another boat without a divorce. Had another thought, might try calling around to some marine junk yards. Could I buy a dressed V8 and swap everything to a V6 long block (except ign I assume)? Manifolds/risers will need to be replaced either way, and intake manifolds as well unless I happened to find a vortec marine engine, which are definitely scarce. I guess I could keep the PS cooler and delete the rest of it?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Just for fun, I'm going to keep my OP updated with needed parts and start pricing them

Bondo

Staff member
No problem driving.

Ayuh,...... Where are you,..??

I'm considerin' scrappin' my ole tinbarge,......
It's got a '94/ '95 4.3LX, 'n Alpha 1 drive,....(Not Gen.II)
It's right off exit 47 on I-81 in far northern NYS,....

Scott06

Vice Admiral
There's two complete bobtail 4.3s on eBay right now ( non vortec). Theoretically both good running complete engines asking $2300-2700 .

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Most marine junkyards are almost more than buying new.

Flywheels on 4.3s are as follows
1985 - only fits 1985 with 2-piece RMS
1986-1991 - non balance shaft motors
1992 - on balance shaft motors

There are two flywheel sizes. One for a 10-1/2" clutch (153 tooth) and one for a 12" clutch (168 tooth)

Marine motors have migrated to the 168 tooth

However new flywheels are cheap

​​​​​​​

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Use google, type in 4.3 mercruiser site:craigslist.org

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
ask yourself the question, do you have the patience to play around with someone else's used who knows what's wrong with it engine, with a short boating season. I fixed mine once (top end overhaul) but if it needs work again I'm going either Mercruiser reman or brand new. Life is too short to fool round with other people's junk. And there is a heck of a lot of junk out there.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
V8s are more plentiful, but I'm very wary about adding even more weight to my light hull. Also realized that I don't have the room or time to store a junk hull, but I don't want to sink a stupid amount of money into a 30+ yo hull.

here is another idea

a V8,with aluminum heads, aluminum intake, and aluminum exhaust manifolds and a heat exchanger would weigh less than a 4.3 with cast-iron heads, cast iron manifolds

alldodge

Staff member
What about a 3.0?

470 at 170hp and weight about 750 lb
3.0 at 135 hp and weight about 600 lb

An overhauled 3.0 will put out a couple more hp, or even more if some good stuff put on it

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... What happened to Mike,..??

I'd still like to know where he calls home,......

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Sorry, off the grid actually boating for a few days!
So, in order:
Keep in mind that this truck is a '97 with 230k miles, so although I've gone cross country with it in the past, I'd rather not do it again :)
Bondo , I'm in Richmond VA. I don't think I can PM with the screwed up forum software still. That's a hike for me, wonder what shipping would cost? Keep me in the loop though...
Lou C , I have a 33 yo 470, of COURSE I can mess with other people's problems.
Scott Danforth , that V8 doesn't sound like a money saver, although I already have a HX.
AllDodge, this is a fun project. Definitely not going to downgrade in HP, and the 3.0's definitely have a lot less oomph out of the hole. Though I guess the 3.0's are plentiful as well. Really, I just want the extra power for skiing. My boat has a hell of a time getting my widening *** out of the water on a slalom ski...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
then spend the money to get the power you need to pull your butt out of the water...... LOL

Bondo

Staff member
Bondo , I'm in Richmond VA. I don't think I can PM with the screwed up forum software still. That's a hike for me, wonder what shipping would cost? Keep me in the loop though...

Ayuh,..... It's on the lawn with a sign on it,.... If it doesn't sell as an operatin' boat in the next few months,....

I'm scrappin' it,.....

If by chance I do scrap it, We can talk,..... rumor has it, that the pm system might be back up by the end of the week,....

'n the company has a job-site somewhere in Va. so it's possible I could get parts of it fairly near you,....
I just don't know where in Va. the job is, other than on an Army base,.....