Blue Band Mercury 850 Serial Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redhot

Seaman Apprentice
I have purchased a Mercury 850 blue band that needs some work. I know this has been asked several times; but I CAN NOT locate the serial number, anywhere.... I need some help. What am I missing? Thank you in advance.

Redhot

Seaman Apprentice
I swear I have looked everywhere, but I have not seen that tag yet; so I will continue looking. I'm assuming that pic is from the front of the motor under the cowling....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, a description of the motor helps. I assume it is 4 cylinder. Does it have distributor ign or 4 coil ignition?

Redhot

Seaman Apprentice
Well I hate to admit it, but the angle of the motor prevented me from seeing the tag. I have located it plain as day. The serial number is 4425271. Which I believe is a 1976. The motor looks in pretty good mechanical shape but the wires are extremely brittle and some are broken. So I need to locate a wiring diagram so I can begin to rewire it all. Thanks for the help.

tallcanadian

Captain
Your serial number is a 1976 year model. Your stripes should look like this. If it doesn't then it's a different cowl. And no distributor.

Redhot

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, that is my exact motor. Thank you for the wiring diagram. I spent all day yesterday cutting back my harness t make it as good as new. HOWEVER, I have the push to choke ignition, which I am moving all to my other boat(ignition, controller and motor). Other than the orange wire is pink on my harness, everything is the same. My yellow comes from the control box to the harness, as it should. My brown is attached to nothing; I assume because I have no tack. Correct? And the white wire was not attached to anything, but it did have a butt connecter.I cant tell where it was attached. Should I just go ahead and attach to F, per the diagram (which is also where my grey choke wire is directly attached). I also had a wire coming off of, what I believe to be F that went to a fuel gauge. Since I have no fuel gauge on my other boat I assume I can just leave off. What is the function of the white wire? Thanks for the help. My next post will be of my next issue. Thanks to all.

Redhot

Seaman Apprentice
18.jpg 15.jpg 17.jpg So as I am rewiring everything, I pop my MerControl apart to inspect the wires from my Neutral Safety Switch. I do what I have to do, and go to put the darn thing back together. I bump the shift lever and this dang piece shoots out from between the cable, before I have it sandwiched together. I looked and looked and CANNOT figure out where it came from. I left it out and put it together. It shifts properly and all that, but it seems as if I don't have that defined neutral indent anymore. Can anyone help. Attached are a few pics. Thanks much!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That barrel is the neutral detent. It fits with the two flat wavy springs that go into the slots in the housing. There is a picture on the control here somewhere that needs to be found - Looking.

For what it's worth, my barrel flew out during one of the times I had my remote apart. It took me two months to find it, so you're doing much better! :smile:

Redhot

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the thread and the info. I will go ahead and give it a whirl and hopefully I can figure it out. I'm hoping my spring stayed where they need to be!

GA_Boater

I said there are 2 wavy springs and in the link the OP said he had 1. So it's 1 or 2, but all the parts diagrams I've seen and haven't looked at all of them, showed 2 wavy springs.

It is tricky to get the barrel and wavy springs in place. I don't press the springs deeply into the slots and try to insert them the minimum depth to hold them in place so a thin screwdriver can be used in the gap between the control halves to align the springs with the other side of the remote.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Redhot, Your boat wiring harness is probably designed to use on either battery-powered CDI ignitions like the 1976 merc inline six motors have, or the ADI ignition your motor has. The white wire is not used by your engine, but is used by the IL 6 motors. Subsequently, the orange (or salmon color) wire is used by your motor and not by the IL 6 motors.

Hope that helps

Redhot

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so I was able to get the barrel back in the position without any problem at all. However, I can see no springs anywhere. Maybe I am not seeing correctly, but I don't even know where they would go. Is there a pic anywhere that shows the springs? I cant seem to find one. Thanks for the help!

GA_Boater

What spring? The wavy, flat spring(s)? Keep looking, they don't fly as far as the barrel.

detent.PNG

Item 2 & 3 in the diagram below.
mcdetent.PNG

Redhot

Seaman Apprentice
Ah yes. THAT!!! Yes, I had that in there already. I guess I didn't understand what a wavy flat spring meant. Now I know. I was looking for a cylindrical type spring. Anyhow, I am all set then. It went together perfectly! I certainly appreciate all of the help!!! WOO HOO. Now on to the engine re-wire. I will figure out the ignition harness later. I am not too concerned on that. I am pretty sure I am in good shape with it now.

GA_Boater

If you feel a solid neutral detent while moving the handle, it's together right.

Redhot

Seaman Apprentice
I most certainly do. It felt good. Just like before I jacked it all up! :joyous:

Status
Not open for further replies.