Alpha one trim controls

john hoffman

Recruit
I recently bought a Stamas 1973 Americana with twin merc outdrives. I can't figure out how the pair of three control buttons that raise and lower the drives work. By pushing the bottom (down) buttons the drives will lower but in order to raise the drives I must push the middle (up / out) button and the top (up) button at the same time to get the drives to raise. Is this the normal way these controls work?

I didn't get a manual with the boat so I'm in the dark here. The mechanic at my marina just replaced the one of the up solenoids (maybe there is only one) but it seems top me that I shouldn't have to press both buttons for the drives to raise. Also, it is very awkward to steer and press these button at the same time while coming up on plane. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha one trim controls

I recently bought a Stamas 1973 Americana with twin merc outdrives. I can't figure out how the pair of three control buttons that raise and lower the drives work. By pushing the bottom (down) buttons the drives will lower but in order to raise the drives I must push the middle (up / out) button and the top (up) button at the same time to get the drives to raise. Is this the normal way these controls work?

I didn't get a manual with the boat so I'm in the dark here. The mechanic at my marina just replaced the one of the up solenoids (maybe there is only one) but it seems top me that I shouldn't have to press both buttons for the drives to raise. Also, it is very awkward to steer and press these button at the same time while coming up on plane. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Ayuh,.... Normally, the center button would trim the drive up, 'n stop mid-way, where you'd use the tilt button to go the rest of the way,...

I'd Guess the trim limit has bit the dust, 'n is by-passed, so it just goes from full down, to full up,...