4.3 merc Cracked block, blown head gasket, or manifods? (LONG)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 4.3 merc Cracked block, blown head gasket, or manifods? (LONG)

I think you should just do a compression check on the cylinders to eliminate the block being cracked. Lets see what the numbers are there first.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I think you should just do a compression check on the cylinders to eliminate the block being cracked.

a cylinder compression test will not tell you if the block is cracked

Watermann

Problem of water in cylinder before in the thread, thought it was his exhaust manifolds, replaced them and he still is getting water inside. Maybe it wasn't the manifolds.

xadiohead

Seaman Apprentice

I did a compression test a couple weeks ago when it was hydrolocking. Unfortunately I didn't write the numbers down. They were all between 180 and 200. Mostly being 180. I haven't hydrolocked since I replaced the manifolds so that problem at least seems to be fixed. The oil then also appeared to be fine. It smelled like gas, but didn't look bad. After changing the manifolds and putting in rebuilt carb the oil went to crap. If I do have a crack, I guess it could have just spread after the engine ran more.

I had overheating problems a year ago so I am still not 100% convinced this is cracked block yet. I really want to do the air leak test on the cooling system. Any suggestions on how to plumb the pressure gauge and compressor to the port in my picture above?

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

It's kind of hard to describe how to make up the adapter check this image out.......I think it will give you the basic idea

b pressure pump.jpg

Of coarse the water separator shown is not needed, you could also make it up out of PVC since you are only pressurizing to 10-12 psi.......you would also need a couple hose clamps and a short piece of hose to attach the assembly to the t-stat housing.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Problem of water in cylinder before in the thread, thought it was his exhaust manifolds, replaced them and he still is getting water inside. Maybe it wasn't the manifolds.

right, but a compression test does not give clues towards a cracked block - that test is useless to the op at this point

need to stay focused on the cooling system integrity at this point

Watermann

Yeah X most of the cooling system test stuff is for closed systems, you'll have to use some ingenuity on yours, or you could check on pressurizing the block like Don S has suggested to others.

Anyway I've learned from being in forums for years that when people show up to go after other posters and don't offer any new ideas it's time for me to bow out. Good luck bud.