95 Bayliner/ 4.3 Merc/ fuel starvation

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice
Well, after years of dreaming of boat ownership, I finally had idle money and negotiated a deal. I put a guy on the ropes and got him well off his price when the boat came down with a fuel starvation issue. Convinced him I could buy it now for cash or he could spend $1000 at the shop and I would still be offering low. He had no mechanical knowledge so fixing it himself wasn't an option. So I'm in the boat cheap and have a few questions. I'll try to break them down by numbering so this is easier to follow. I have already bookmarked the Fuel system testing thread in the Adults only section so I will start that process after my initial run through. First off though,
My plan:
1. Drain gas tank (guy named sea foam and some kind of water remover as things he tried to fix the problem, no telling what kind of concoction is in the tank.
2. New fuel/water separator and fuel filter
AFTER fixing fuel issue:
3. Fresh outdrive oil
4. Fresh oil change
5. (prob end of season) impeller change
6. Enjoy her

My questions
1. Should I replace the fuel water separator or just empty it?
2. If I'm replacing the fuel water separator is there a local source? Advance auto, napa etc.. If not I will order from Iboats of course
3. Is the fuel filter at the carb under the big nut something that I should clean or replace?
4. The throttle arm trim control is mashed, the down works, and the up works if you push the trailer button located at the bottom of the mount. Anyone suggest a nice aftermarket throttle arm thats affordable?
5. Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

NHGuy

Captain
Re: 95 Bayliner/ 4.3 Merc/ fuel starvation

The separators are available in a lot of places, but supporting iboats is always the right thing. Don't reuse the separator. But do pour out it's contents into a glass jar and report what you get.
Do clean up the carb inlet filter screen. When you go to pull the carburetor inlet filter use a flare nut wrench or you'll round off the brass nut necessitating a bigger repair. Just go get a 5/8" flare nut wrench. And back up (hold) the other nut that it goes into so you are only loosening the inlet fitting.
I'd try to get the same throttle control so it mounts up easily...unless it's just a POS design.
Good play to completely empty the tank. If you are really suspicious of it's contents and can access the sender hole pull off the sender and inspect.
Don't use any electric tools or vacuum cleaners on fuel, that makes a big fiery boom. Well, I guess you could use an in line fuel pump, That would be a good way to really get every bit of stuff. But disconnect the battery before you start, and be sure to make no sparks!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

My plan:
1. Drain gas tank (guy named sea foam and some kind of water remover as things he tried to fix the problem, no telling what kind of concoction is in the tank.
2. New fuel/water separator and fuel filter
AFTER fixing fuel issue:
3. Fresh outdrive oil
4. Fresh oil change
5. (prob end of season) impeller change
6. Enjoy her

My questions
1. Should I replace the fuel water separator or just empty it?
2. If I'm replacing the fuel water separator is there a local source? Advance auto, napa etc.. If not I will order from Iboats of course
3. Is the fuel filter at the carb under the big nut something that I should clean or replace?
4. The throttle arm trim control is mashed, the down works, and the up works if you push the trailer button located at the bottom of the mount. Anyone suggest a nice aftermarket throttle arm thats affordable?
5. Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Howdy,

You have a fairly unknown fuel system. So to clean out the tank, instead of dumping snake oil in it, why not completely suction out all the fuel, debris, water etc? (I'm assuming that you cannot just remove the tank easily)

You can do this by removing the fuel gage sender and using a long length of clear vinyl hose (3/4-1" dia) and set it up as a siphon. install a ball valve at the end that will go out to the fuel receptacle you'll siphon into. If you fill the hose with gasoline first, close the valve, you can easily start a siphon.

Put a piece of plastic pipe on the end you'll put in the gage sender hole so you can use it like a vacuum to suck out any water or debris in the tank.

Prop the bow up a little (if the tank sender is at the back of the tank) so the "stuff" runs back towards the gage sender hole.

Also, remove your hose from the tank vent and ensure that it's not plugged with "stuff", critters, etc

REPLACE the fuel separator. For an I/O, they're usually a spin-on filter/separator (like an oil filter) . If you have a clear glass/plastic fuel separator, you need to change it. That's for an outboard. I buy my filter/separators from a local Baldwin dealer. You can use ANY equivalent filter/separator.

If the fuel pump is questionable, replace it. (you can test it....look for evidence of fuel in the clear plastic line from the pump to the carb)
Consider a carb kit. If it had fuel problems, you may find them in the carb float chamber.

If you do not know the history of the raw water pump, replace it. It's far better to know it's ok instead of overheating out at the lake on vacation and wishing you had changed it when you had everything apart!!

I replaced my old throttle/shift control with a Telflex CH-1700. I don't think any of them are "cheap" .......... I love the way the Teleflex works.....

Regards,

Rick

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

is your 4.3 carbed? I know mine has a tiny filter inside the carb at the fuel line fitting that was completely gunked up.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

NHguy thanks for the tip on the flare nut wrench. I'll definitely do that. Also on avoiding sparks, I have a buddy with a siphon pump that uses a hand pump bulb, so we'll be using that.

HT32BSX115 #1 of my to do list in the original post is drain the tank. What are you guys are referring to as the fuel gauge sender? I'm tied up for the next day or two and can't look at the tank, but the back part of the tank is easily accessible. I can see a round cover with a couple wires to it, I assumed this was the pump. I definitely plan to lift the bow and really suck out the tank good, maybe even dump a lil good gas in there just to help slosh around any debris that could be left and siphon that out also.

sptjet90Reflexx Yeah it's carbed. The filter you're referring to is the filter in my question #3. I plan to pull it out and clean it.

It's good to see you guys are agreeing with my plan of attack. I hope to dunk her on Saturday after emptying the tank, new fuel water separator, clean filter, and fresh gas. Then I'll see if she still has the bogging at 3k problem and if she does I'll begin my diagnosis with pressure tests and all that fun.

Bondo

Staff member

NHguy thanks for the tip on the flare nut wrench. I'll definitely do that. Also on avoiding sparks, I have a buddy with a siphon pump that uses a hand pump bulb, so we'll be using that.

HT32BSX115 #1 of my to do list in the original post is drain the tank. What are you guys are referring to as the fuel gauge sender? I'm tied up for the next day or two and can't look at the tank, but the back part of the tank is easily accessible. I can see a round cover with a couple wires to it, I assumed this was the pump. I definitely plan to lift the bow and really suck out the tank good, maybe even dump a lil good gas in there just to help slosh around any debris that could be left and siphon that out also.

sptjet90Reflexx Yeah it's carbed. The filter you're referring to is the filter in my question #3. I plan to pull it out and clean it.

It's good to see you guys are agreeing with my plan of attack. I hope to dunk her on Saturday after emptying the tank, new fuel water separator, clean filter, and fresh gas. Then I'll see if she still has the bogging at 3k problem and if she does I'll begin my diagnosis with pressure tests and all that fun.

Ayuh,... The fuel pump is on the motor, not in the tank, it's a Boat, 'n not a car,...

That's the gauge sendin' unit yer seein',...

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

follow the metal lines from the carb, they end at the fuel pump. its like a canister bolted to the block. there is a kinda V shaped spring holding down a cup. there is another filter in there.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... The fuel pump is on the motor, not in the tank, it's a Boat, 'n not a car,...

That's the gauge sendin' unit yer seein',...
Thanks that's what I was wondering. Would have been hard to run fuel pump tests on a sending unit.

follow the metal lines from the carb, they end at the fuel pump. its like a canister bolted to the block. there is a kinda V shaped spring holding down a cup. there is another filter in there.

Good to know, I only knew of the one at carb and fuel/water separator.

familyman1

Seaman Apprentice

If I understand, there are 3 fuel filters? One at the carb fuel inlet, fuel / water separator and another at the fuel pump?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If I understand, there are 3 fuel filters? One at the carb fuel inlet, fuel / water separator and another at the fuel pump?

Usually, there's a screen in the tank (fuel pickup tube) , a filter prior to the fuel pump, and *sometimes* a "screen" in the carb.......... but not always.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

Update. Emptied the fuel/water separator into a jar around 8 this morning, was rather clearish. Stopped back by at 930 and already 1/4 of the jar was empty. By 4 this afternoon it is only 1/4 full. Is that a normal evaporation rate? The fuel is much darker now and there was a good lil bit of sediment in the bottom. When I pulled it it didn't really even smell like gas. This actually is a good sign to me that bad gas could be a big factor to the issue.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

Update: New fuel water separator, tank completely emptied and refilled with non-ethanol, all filters and lines checked and cleaned, vent line is free and clear, good flow of fuel from pump line to carb. Dropped her in and she fires right up, idles good, and revs smoothly in neutral. Once in gear, she idles around and even at high idle of about 1500 rpms sounds great. As soon as I even attempt to touch her with throttle she dies. No higher than 2500 rpms on any attempt. If I immediately chop the throttle back to neutral she'll catch her idle back before dying. The only odd thing was trailering her. Once I had her on the bunks I started to give her some juice and she got up to 3500 rpms power loading. Seems like I should move on to carb? Local guy told me to pump the throttle while motor is off while looking down the carb and see if accelarator pumps dump some gas in. He seems to think it could be a diaphragm for those pumps. Appreciate any advice.

Bondo

Staff member

Seems like I should move on to carb?

Ayuh,.... Rebuild or replace it,... What carb is it,..??

oxfordgt

Seaman Apprentice

Rebuild the carb. Also check your plugs, cap and rotor.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

Update SOLVED!! Boat has a Holley 4 barrel, accelerator pump was leaking all fuel out of bowl. $6 diaphragm and she's runnin like a stuck pig! So pumped! Thanks for all the input guys