at the ramp

wsr3

Cadet
So being a nice day My wife and I went out for a ride in the Glasspar. Being a fairly inexperienced boater I backed down the ramp, hooked a line to the bow eye and pulled it over to the dock. There was one boat coming in and I offered to get out of the way since I would take some time, but they were very friendly and offered tips, great start to the day! We cruised for a couple of hours then tied up at the city dock at went for lunch. As we were walking up the ramp I noticed that a family had sat down on the bench beside the boat then noticed that they must have been disoriented from the sun as they had mistaken our boat for a carnival ride and sat their child in the back seat. I walked back down to inform them that this in fact was not a tilt-a-whirl but in fact our private property. Well I got a look of confusion, but they left. With some trepidation we went on to lunch, much relieved to find the boat in place and intact on our return. We continued back to the ramp and noticed several boats tied up at the dock. We tied up at the end and found several people fishing off of it, including one person not blessed with dental hygene sitting in his jon boat, tied to the dock, and casting away. Well, okay then. The sun must have been very hot, because as we walked to the truck we found that a family of anglers had taken up residence, including the car, in the middle of the ramp. I asked the man if it would be a great hardship if he moved, he said O.K., but didn't actually budge until my trailer was bearing down on him. I got the trailer in the water and walked back to the dock, unfortunately disturbing an aged angler cleaning his catch on the steps, and fastened the line to pull the boat on to the trailer as my wife is even more inexperienced than me in the nautical arts. I asked the dentally challenged man if he might move his jon boat that was perpendicular to the dock so I might tow my boat in. "sometin wrong with yur moter" Well no, but my wife doesn't know how to use the winch, "get it out how you got it in". After a minute of escalating conversation I decided that short of calling in the law, I was going to have to get wet. Well we managed to get the boat out after me enjoying the refreshing waters of the great Tennessee river and headed home. Now I know I need to get better at launching and should teach the better half to help, but is this why people rent a slip?
Bill

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: at the ramp

stuff happens, people are weird, try boating in Florida.....lol.

Bondo

Staff member

but is this why people rent a slip?

Ayuh,... Rent a slip,..??.. 'ell, I bought a House On the Water....

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

sorry you are surrounded by idiots. I know there are stupid people every where but i think you found the mother load.
the more practice the better you will be.:cool:

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

I would have untied him and pushed him out of the way!!!!!! TAMF

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like you were at a place by me called gravely park. . I launched there a total of twice and never been back.

trejac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My wife is boating challenged as well. However, she backs the boat off and then drives it back on. All the time I'm scared to death. Today I put some pilot poles on the trailer to help her aim. Posted some pic in another area.

wsr3

Cadet

I understand. My trailer is too small for me to see when the boat is off. I was thinking of mounting some bike flags on the back so I would have some reference as to where I was going. As far as the ramp it is a nice facility, only two miles from the house and usually empty, at least the two times I had been before.
Bill

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

there's a gew threads going for idiots at the ramp, it's a never ending saga.... and frustrating too, cause they often think "I was here first" ...

I had a couple of experiences last year, when I pulled up to the ramp to launch, and there was a car backed down the ramp, in park, and vacated.... I spent 10 mins hunting down the owner who was sleeping on a blanket on the beack 200 yards from his car.. and boy was he pissed when I asked him to move his car off the ramp so I could launch..

Another time, a truck was just parked facing the lake, on the ramp.... the people inside were eating McDonalds and oblivious to me in my van with my boat.... I finally went and asked if they could please move, and they asked why? I said well, you're in a boat ramp, and I'd like to launch my boat... they fussed, the woman passenger called me an a-hole and I walked back to my van, and waited.... 5 minutes later, they slowly backed out of the ramp, gave me a one finger salute and drove off...

Yeah.... some people.... I feel your pain tho, trying to retrieve when people won't move either can be a drag..... Look for another ramp on the lake, and always have other options.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

there's a gew threads going for idiots at the ramp, it's a never ending saga.... and frustrating too, cause they often think "I was here first" ...

I had a couple of experiences last year, when I pulled up to the ramp to launch, and there was a car backed down the ramp, in park, and vacated.... I spent 10 mins hunting down the owner who was sleeping on a blanket on the beack 200 yards from his car.. and boy was he pissed when I asked him to move his car off the ramp so I could launch..

Another time, a truck was just parked facing the lake, on the ramp.... the people inside were eating McDonalds and oblivious to me in my van with my boat.... I finally went and asked if they could please move, and they asked why? I said well, you're in a boat ramp, and I'd like to launch my boat... they fussed, the woman passenger called me an a-hole and I walked back to my van, and waited.... 5 minutes later, they slowly backed out of the ramp, gave me a one finger salute and drove off...

Yeah.... some people.... I feel your pain tho, trying to retrieve when people won't move either can be a drag..... Look for another ramp on the lake, and always have other options.

wow that's crazy. The worse I've seen lately was some folks from up north washing their boat on the trailer on the ramp itself, in fact they decided to wash their truck while I waited. After about five minutes I walked over and asked how much longer they planned on tying up the ramp they said they were almost done, that's when I asked them if they knew they were washing eveything in salt water.....boy did they make some funny expressions.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here on Lake Hartwell there are a couple of ramps that seem to attract all kinds. Paynes Creek is one of the worse. The lake deposits a lot of sand in this area and the shore is like a beach there. Even though there are signs stating no Swimming or fishing. During the summer there will be many people doing just that and the kids on the ramp in the not moving. I just choose not to go to that one and use another ramp.

apaseman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

9 out of 10 people at where I launch are great. It's that 10th that boggles the mind sometimes :p

I was waiting for my friend to get the trailer while I sat out waiting for her to back the trailer down, and this dude in a van pulls up to the ramp, parks parallel across it, and gets out and walks lazily down to the store. 15 minutes...15 MINUTES he walks back, gets something out of his car, then proceeds to walk away again...all the while me and about 3 others are waiting to use the ramp. My friend asked him if he could move his van...to which he acted like he was being asked to do something that inconvenienced him, and said he would, only 5 minutes later he finally gets in and moves it the 15 feet to an actual parking space. WHO DOES THIS? I mean, really....

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In addition to a boating safety class, there should be a mandatory boat launch ettiquette (sp?) class and I want to be an instructor! I have NO problem waiting on a newbie trying to do things right or a guy having problems...all the patience in the world for then. I have NO patience for anyone that doesn't follow the "rules", thinks he owns the launch and could care less about others. I am usually a calm patient guy but some people can push my buttons at the ramp. Often I go to the launch simply for entertainment (without the boat) and they still tick me off!

Sorry for the rant!

86 century

Ensign

I don't see to much of this around here. You folks are way to nice. I tend to get real rude and pushy when the stupids are out.

cr2k

Captain

Coming in one day last summer we passed 2 PWCs one being towed by the other. The dead one was tied up to the dock at the ramp right at the waters edge effectively blocking that lane. The woman was sitting standing in waist deep water holding hers blocking the other lane. My wife went and brought the trailer down but could not back in. The lady kept saying her husband would be down any minute use the other side of the dock. The other side is bolders and not the concrete ramp and the lee side and the wind as always blows rather briskly in the evening. I kept lamenting that she should move and is blocking the ramp. She kept responding her husband would be right down. No signs anywhere of any vehicle movement. After about 20 minutes (seemed like hours) I finally (by backing the trailer down with no regard for her) convinced her to move. We got the boat on the trailer pulled up to the parking area, tied it down, pulled the plug, etc. As we started out we saw a Toyota pick up with a PWC trailer stuck in the sand trying to pull up from the beach. Sooo we stopped, unhooked the trailer and pulled him out. Explaining what was going on at the ramp. He then thanked me and said boy he probably owes his wife dinner. To that I said Your Wife? Did she pull you out of the sand after blocking the ramp for 1/2 an hour? Then I left quickly so as not to hit him. Some people just have no clue.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

fastened the line to pull the boat on to the trailer
Bill

There are a great many people, including myself, that have been boating for years and always load there boat just the way you described. It has nothing to do with being inexperienced and everything to do with taking your time, being safe, keeping your boat in good shape and not tearing it up from power loading.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

but is this why people rent a slip?
Bill

No, thats why I drive an old tin boat so I can accidentally bump any boat that is in my way. :)

I have been know to run across a fish line or two if they are fishing on the ramp, and I'm a fisherman.

Don't know what I would have done with the guy in the jon boat.
Probably take it out the way I put it in, right over his boat.

Well, probably not, but I probably would have backed into him.

I'm non confrontational at heart, but some things get me riled.
I'll help anyone out there, but **** in their beer if they are really screwing things up.

OJ_Simpson

Cadet

The absolute worst are the idiots that think the launch is their cell phone lot or picnic area. These people are never hauling a boat, and tend to be totally dazed and confused.