jb weld on trim fitting?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: jb weld on trim fitting?

.... Since NPT is a tapered thread, it should dig in and tighten as it's wrenched tight. .......

It's not NPT, it's a straight thread (not sure which one). The flare on the end of the tube is a double flare and seals on the bottom of the hole. The threads are just there to push the double flare down, no sealing on the threads....

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you know it seems to me the threads are already screwed so he really has nothing to lose by trying the epoxy. Like you guys said it likely wont work. But at this point I say what the hell might as well try.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you know it seems to me the threads are already screwed so he really has nothing to lose by trying the epoxy. Like you guys said it likely wont work. But at this point I say what the hell might as well try.

Can't argue with that!

fishrdan

Admiral

It's not NPT, it's a straight thread (not sure which one). The flare on the end of the tube is a double flare and seals on the bottom of the hole. The threads are just there to push the double flare down, no sealing on the threads....

The adapter would be NPT on one end.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The adapter would be NPT on one end.

This is a very old (1967-69) unit. The connector block (photographed above) is held in by a nut on the other side. It's more likely a UNF thread. The thread into which the hose end screws in is a parallel thread, because the hose seals on the double flare on the end. There is no 'adapter'....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

There is no 'adapter'....

I think what fishrdan is suggesting is buying an adapter like this - male pipe thread, female flare fitting:

get

He isn't saying it is the "right" fitting, simply that it may work to use along with some JB Weld. Is it unorthodox? Yep. Is it better to pull the engine and replace the block? Probably.

But it just might work! ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I want see someone put a fitting like that in the fitting that is bad, how you going to drill and tap it. Oh, and lets not get any drill shavings down in the fitting.
It seems to me this thread is heading off into fantasy land, not real world.

attachment.php

scoflaw

Ensign

Noticed how the OP hasn't responded since day 1. He probably brazed a new fitting into the old hole, like I suggested, and is half way to florida with that baby right now.

fishrdan

Admiral

I think what fishrdan is suggesting is buying an adapter like this - male pipe thread, female flare fitting:

get

He isn't saying it is the "right" fitting, simply that it may work to use along with some JB Weld. Is it unorthodox? Yep. Is it better to pull the engine and replace the block? Probably.

But it just might work! ;)

^^^ Exactly

I want see someone put a fitting like that in the fitting that is bad, how you going to drill and tap it. Oh, and lets not get any drill shavings down in the fitting.
It seems to me this thread is heading off into fantasy land, not real world.

attachment.php

You wouldn't drill and tap it, that's what the JB weld is for, to fill in the imperfections. Just clean the old fitting and screw in the adapter,,, sealed with JBweld. Of course, the thread pitch needs to be the same, which the OP would need to verify.

I do agree that this is a cobbled up venture and might not work easily. Well the adapter would be easy to install, but getting the SS hard line to mate up to the adapter could be more of a nightmare than just pulling the engine....

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Noticed how the OP hasn't responded since day 1. He probably brazed a new fitting into the old hole, like I suggested, and is half way to florida with that baby right now.

i agree...

except i doubt the op has pulled the motor, removed all necessary components, cleaned and briased the new fitting into place (assuming he's an accomplished welder), and re-installed the engine without telling anyone here about it - he did come here for advice

i would guess he's halfway to either the repair shop or the boat graveyard by now...