Not open for further replies.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Building an Outdrive Stand

do you have a pic without the drive on with a few measurements too. cheers

Dave88LX

Seaman

Great thread; thanks for the ideas. Have to make something up here soon.

cr2k

Captain

2012-02-02 13.14.23.jpg

Made it to fit the furniture dolly from Harbour Freight.

I bought the u pod and built a dolly with wood scraps ans added casters from a home center. iPod was $48 and casters were around $10. Fits bravo 1 great and wheels around on rough ground great

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I use Black and Decker "Workmate" benches. Simply take off the prop, remove the whole drive, lift(c'mon Nancy...you can do it!:D), and the lower unit will fit in between the split wooden top nicely, then seperate the upper and clamp it into it's own bench.

Re-assembly is simply the opposite. Much eaiser to "lower" the upper unit back onto the lower unit.

Bought both of them used on CL for $15 and $12.

AND after the drive work is done...you've got two handy little benches!

halcrimm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This thread was nice to give ideas for making my Mercruiser Alpha I Gen II outdrive stand. I added a couple of plastic containers on the side to hold pieces parts while working and wheels make it very easy to move around garage or driveway. Best thing was it did not cost a thing to make. Had all pieces laying around the garage.
Just thought I would share.
HalDSC00647.jpgDSC00648.jpgDSC00650.jpg

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I'll add my pic since I just recently loaded it into photobucket. Like others, made from scraps laying around the shop. Interfaces well with the height of the boat for removal/installation and allows me to leave the prop on.
SAM_2091.jpg

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. In fact, I was at Harbor Freight and scoping out the cheap floor jacks to build that fancy lift/stand and realized I had 90% of a plain stand already. The engine stand is just kicking around in the garage most of the time, so I figured I would just make some rails from scrap 2" angle iron and bolt them to the engine stand. Worked great. Here are the pictures.

Drive_Stand_4.jpgDrive_Stand_1.jpgDrive_Stand_2.jpgDrive_Stand_3.jpg

I hope that worked. This is my first time loading pictures to this forum.

John

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Drive Stand 1.JPGDrive Stand 3.JPG

OK, Me to. Built on top of a Big Box home improvement ten bux dolley. No lifting on or off the boat. Roll it up and wrench away. Need to adjust, raise or lower trailer tongue jack. EASY and my back thanx me.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I would just make some rails from scrap 2" angle iron and bolt them to the engine stand. Worked great. Here are the pictures.

The rails look similar to bedframe rails...I bet they'd work too if anyone(like me) has a couple sitting around. Gives me something to think about! Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

OK...almost have mine done except for paint. Can be completely broken down when not being used to store flat. I will update photos when it is finally painted.

IMG_0708%20%28Small%29.JPG

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Updated photo:

IMG_0729.JPG

I had the steel laying around. Probably cost me around $80 to put together including the rubber on top of the forks.

It can break down so it can store flat on a shelf in my garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.