Clunking while turning

bayliner_az

Cadet
Hi,

First up, its a 1986 Bayliner 2150 with a 225E Volvo Penta and AQ 275 Outdrive. Was at the lake this weekend and started to notice a clunking sound when turning. It got really bad really quick. I shut it down and checked it out but didnt see anything. Limped back to shore (not too far) but really noticed the noise got progressivly worse the further I turned in either direction.

The best I can describe it is that it sounds like a U joint smacking around or a CV joint on a car that is really gone.

The boat is home now and I'm trying to decide what to do. I searched the forum but wasnt able to come up with anything (probably because I'm not using the correct words).

Does this sound like something that would normally go out? What is the best way to narrow down the issue?

Guesses on the entire unit being bad? Is it something I could tackle myself?

I just don't want to drag it to the local shop and have them feed me a line that I need $5000 in repairs if I could do it myself or spend more on it than the boat is worth.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Clunking while turning

Welcome to Iboats!

My first thought would be bad U-joints.
Time to pull the drive and have a look.This should be done as a yearly service anyway.

RichM

Cadet

That would be the sound of your gimbal bearing going out. Go ahead and ask me how I know! You are lucky that you were close enough to limp back...I was 3 miles from the launch ramp and had to pay $200 for a tow back. The new gimbal arrived yesterday afternoon and is going in later this week.

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think this Volvo has a gimbal bearing. I think it has a PDS.

bayliner_az

Cadet

Thanks so much guys. I'll have do a quick search for how to pull it and give it a shot.

Any special tools or things to watch out for in the mean time?

Any chance anyone (maybe DonS) has an electronic version of the service manual?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There is no gimble bearing and you don't need to pull the drive. You only need to take off the upper gear case.

cr2k

Captain

Large wide screwdriver to drain the oil.
Phillips Driver to remove the cover.
Pair of needle nose to pull the cotter pin on the shift. (Don't lose the pin or the washer either.)
9/16 end wrench and a 3/8 (i think) Allen wrench with a real short end.
9/32 swivel end 1/4 in. drive socket to remove the hose clamp.
2 new O-Rings that seal the upper to the lower.
2 1/2 qts. 10W30 motor oil to refill the drive.
Replacement U-Joint.

Work the gearbox straight up until it clears the studs and pull straight out.

20 min. allowed for beginners.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

2 comments to add to CR2K.

I always use a new stainless steel cotter pin and I would also just use straight 30W oil.

These 2 pictures are DonS's pics that show it well.

Removing top box 1.png
Removing top box 2.png

bayliner_az

Cadet

This is VERY encouraging! I was ready for a 3 day job to pull the whole unit... If I can just drain the oil (changed last season so I'm sure I can get that open again :D ) and then pull the upper gear case. I think I can manage that this weekend if I can find the parts locally.

You guys are awesome, thanks again for the quick help.

bayliner_az

Cadet

Ok, back with good and bad news...

The good news: Tore the upper gear box off and it slipped right out, thanks for the tips on how to do it ;) Just as expected the bellows was full of milky looking water. It had been that way for some time based on the rusted U-joints.

The clamp on the bellows looked like it was over tightened causing a split right where the tightening screw is (see pic)

The bad news: When I went to drain the water from the bellows I found a bunch of "extra" parts (ball bearings and rubber seals) :confused: So I pulled the drive shaft out and a bunch more pieces come with it. Looking at the 270 service manual (mines a 275 but I assume its similar), I think all the bearings and washers (parts 63-67 in fig. 56) were mangled or gone.

Question #1: is this a gimble bearing (#63 in diagram)

Question #2: Do I have to pull the drive to be able to press the new parts back in or can i slip them in with the drive shaft through the hole.

Thanks again for all the help

Attachments

• IMG_7064.jpg
    IMG_7064.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7079.jpg
    IMG_7079.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7066.jpg
    IMG_7066.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7067.jpg
    IMG_7067.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Drive diagram.jpg
    Drive diagram.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0

bayliner_az

Cadet

Yes, that is exactly what I'm facing. Funny with the searching I did I never found it... probably because I don't know how to narrow the results OR I'm just blind :)

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!!! I read it 2x and will use it for my project. Looks like I'll be pulling the engine too...