Steps to install engine and outdrive

92excel

Chief Petty Officer
I appologize if this has been answered but i am hoping for clarification. I have searched all over this forum and cant get a start to finish step by step dumbed down process for installing an engine, transom plate, aligning the engine and outdrive. Plus what items i should replace at this time other then the bellows.. Also any special tools other then the alignment bar.

I have a wellcraft excel that i just finished replacing the transom, stringers and deck. The engine is a volvo penta and the outdrive is the SP A. I am ready to get the engine back in..

i really appreciate the step by step instructions in the correct order.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steps to install engine and outdrive

Ayuh,... Don't want much do ya,... That'd take me Days to type, 1 fingered,+ all....

This'll get you started,... The names are changed, but the basic principles are the Same....

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

I didnt mention it before th engine is a 240 A

Bond-o .. i know it was pretty vague but i guess i was just looking for an outline..

DON S that was a great read and was exactly what i was looking for.

Where i am ..
First Install the transom shield .. pretty straight forward.

Second Install the Engine. Hang it from the hoist and set it on the motor mounts ( i only have the mounts farthest from the transom) and slide the flywheel housing towards the transom until its flush.
The Clamping ring should line up with the bolt holes in the fly wheel housing.

P1150108.jpg

Third. Align the engine.. This is where im lost. I read that you use the aligment bar and slide it through the gimbal bearing until it engages the engine coupler. This is what you would see looking from behind if all the steps above where followed:

P3190001.jpg

What am i missing.. There is already a shaft comming out of the bearings.. I assume that something on the transom plate should aid it the alignment of the engine but the transom plate is a large opening with just the clamping ring. How would the bar aide in alignment.. other photos i have scene make more sence as the transom sheild has the similar size opening to the alignment tool..

thanks

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

i just read through the outdrive manual and seems like i am close.. but i am still missing how to align.. thanks

Robj

Lieutenant

On your set-up you do not need an alignment bar. While you have it out, I would replace the bearing and seals in the bellhousing. If you really want, try and find a sealed bearing for the bellhousing, that way you will no longer have to worry about greasing it. On the bellhousing and transom shield you will see 3 alignment tabs, at 3,9, and 12 o'clock positions. I think the spec says that the gaps must be within 0.6 mm of each other. Very easy, just adjust your engine until the gaps are within spec. And before you install the engine, I would rebuild all the structure at the back. It is easier to do that now than once the engine is installed.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You won't find any info on how to align them unless you are lucky enough to find an original sintallation manual set. But here is a picture from a 41 diesel, with the same process.
Just look at your transom shield and engine bellhousing, you will see the 3 alignment bosses.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• engine alignment.jpg
    engine alignment.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Volvo Alignment Tool.png
    Volvo Alignment Tool.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member

I didnt mention it before th engine is a 240 A

Bond-o .. i know it was pretty vague but i guess i was just looking for an outline..

Ayuh,... Sorry 'bout that,... I Assumed you had a somewhat Normal driveline...

Now you know Why I don't reply to more Volvo threads....

Robj

Lieutenant

When I installed mine, I did not buy the special tool. I used feeler gauges to measure the gap and adjusted it based on that. It is quite easy to get it within 2 mm.

Have a great day

Rob.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Ok so i got the engine put in and its staight but as you can see in the photo i am still at 1/4 inch between the alignment tabs and as mentioned above it needs to be closer to 1/16 but i can seem to get the engine to side any farther into the transom shield. Any ideas what i am not doing? i have tried everything i can think of.

P4030044.jpg

when looking through the transom shield from behind the boat it seems the like the engine will not go any farther as the two arrows are flush.

P4030048.jpg

thoughts?

Don S

Put the outer ring and big rubber oring on it and tighten it down the 6 bolts evenly. THEN adjust.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

So will those 6 bolts actually pull the engine back and compress the rubber?

seems like you would need a lot of torque on the bolts the be able to pull the engine closer to the transom. Do you need an inpack gun or can you get enough torgue with a rachet and socket?

thanks

Don S

So will those 6 bolts actually pull the engine back and compress the rubber?

Yes, it will pull them together. 35 ft lbs is the torque on those 6 bolts.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

i really hate to be annoying..
what you suggested got me to 1/8 inch gap... but i still need more and the bolts will not tighten anymore even with an impact gun...

i tried this with the engine hanging on the hoist ..

so anymore help?

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

I think i was confused..

i just talked to robj and he said that the distance between the shield and the fly wheel housing doesnt actually matter. I was trying to get that distance to 2 mm.

the 2 mm refers to getting all three gaps to within 2mm of each other.

i am thinking correctly now?