4.3 motor install BIG THANKS

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well back in april 07 I was in here looking for info about replacing the motor in a 17ft Larson I hadbought.It had a new motor which the owner did not winterize correctly and cracked the block.Yes it rains a ton here in Seattle but it does get cold as well.Soon after my home computer crashed and crashed hard. I want to thank all those who offered their opinions and advice. I was able to find a new machined and honed block in Min. and had it shipped here for about 260.00 I am happy to report that the motor is in the boat and we had a ball breakin her in last summer.It's really fast!I am currently sewing a whole new interior for her as I did not care for the color that was in her and replacing the carpet as well. The sewing is going well for someone who has never sewn before.After the first gunnel panel I doubt a shop could have done any better.......Leo

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4.3 motor install BIG THANKS

Hi Leo, could you post or email some pics of your upholstery work and equipment bought, as I would like to do my own upholstery too?

Basket Case
1983 Tiara 26 Continental
Twin 470 Mercs

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi ya reef I will get some pics on here later this week I am not done just in the process. Some of the things I bought for this job was a sewing machine nothin fancy but made sure they could sew thru at least 4 pieces of material it depends on the needles you use and I change them often. The fabric store I got the marine grade vynil was JoAnns saw the same stuff at other shops but they wanted about 8 to 14 dollars more a yard. They just don't have a big selection of colors to choose from so it may or may not be what you want. Make sure you use a polyester type thread as this wont rot on you.I also bought foam for cusions there as well.I have wrapped everything with tyvek and all wood was treated. I used to spend more time unjamming the sewing machine but once I get the thread tension setting right it has gone pretty smooth. A book off ebay about sewing canvas and vynil has also helped. It's best if you can use the pieces your replacing as patterns for the new stuff. I deviated from the original stripes and spent some time drawing it all out on paper and coming up with a pattern I was happy with and wasn't going to be real difficult to sew. I will get some pics up or we can swap emails as I would be glad to help in any way I can. It's not as tough as it seems and the ladies at the fabric store have been a big help. Im going to save a ton of money and have that satisfaction of having done it myself and knowing it was done right.Leo

Bondo

Staff member

I want to thank all those who offered their opinions and advice.

Ayuh,... We All apprecate you coming back,+ keeping Us updated,...

Personally,... I always Love a Happy Ending,...

If you're now moving on to the Upholstery,...
You'll want to start a new thread down in the restoration forum,....
This forum is for only the Motors,+ Drives...

Good Luck,...