Remote control

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Remote control

It will come with a connector that won't fit anything you have. Just cut it off and wire to your wires.

Also, there will be an override button that you won't use. You can either leave the button on there and leave it unwired or leave the hole which you will have to cap off.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before you go buying cables and everything else, is this a 97 boat, or is it an older boat that was repowerd with the Volvo engine. Volvo and OMC had a joint venture going for a few years, and my guess is if it's all OEM, you cables will fit. It's probably a similar shifter that is in there now.
Just to make things worse, why are you changing the shifter? If it's a 97 also, I really doubt it needs replaced already.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Don,

The OEM shifter in 1997 was the one pictured in Lyndy's post. That was an OMC shifter used for many years. I know because I bought one of those back when I had an OMC Cobra.

The cables at the shifter end have a cylindrical barrel swedged on it.

If you go to this page, the newer control uses the top type cable...the older control uses the one from the next picture down.

http://www.boatfix.com/catalog/532.pdf

I changed mine because it was extremely stiff and always had problems with the neutral switch staying in adjustment.

Don S

The OEM shifter in 1997 was the one pictured in Lyndy's post. That was an OMC shifter used for many years. I know because I bought one of those back when I had an OMC Cobra.

I would really like to know what bijou22 has because I have seen 97 boats that didn't have shifters like the picture Lyndy posted. But they did say OMC on them and I really don't have a clue what any of the numbers were back then. But the shifters where basically like the newer Volvo one as far as the mechanical parts go. The things look different on the outside to look more modern, but the guts are the same.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Mine came off of a 98 boat with the LK drive/engine. It was definitley the OMC with the OMC style cables. My boat is also a Wellcraft.

I just threw away the old mechanism...would show some pics if I still had it.

I just sent the trim switch off of it to Gary H NC for his shifter for his Cobra...said it was the identical switch.

As far as needing a new throttle cable goes...Here is the picture I sent Leon at Volvo penta support. Shown is the throttle cable sitting in a bracket that accepts the OMC style cable as well as the 33 style. Mounted in this supplied bracket, an OMC style cable can not operate the throttle. It can however, operate the shift.

volvo_shift.jpg

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine was also too stiff and always had problems with neutral, really got on my nerves.
Don, boat is a 1997 Wellcraft 21sl and the shifter is just like the one shown in the picture from Lyndy.
Think I will wait until remote arrives before I order any new cables just in case.

How do I post pics, I can then show you the control?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Go to photobucket.com
upload the pics,then copy the image code,paste it in your post...8)

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for that will post some pics on later to show you my old remote.
The shift cable I have on there at the moment is the CC214 type cable which I replaced last year and the throttle cable looks quite similar so I suppose they are OMC cables?

Don S

I finally found the instructions sheet for the new control. It will also accept your OMC style cables. So you won't need to replace the cables again. Just keep the little clips in the kit so if it becomes necessary in the future to change cables again, then you can use the standard 33c cable.
Here's a link to the instruction sheet for the control. Don't worry about the part numbers, they changed, control is the same.

Instalation Instructions

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you look at Figure 6 you will see the locations for throttle mounting. Now look at my photograph where I have the cable located where the instructions request. You will see how the barrel of the shift cable sits in the attatch bracket anf how the cable will now be too long to attatch to the shifter arm.

I read those instructions over and over trying to tell myself this should work. That is when I called Volvo Penta and they told me what I am telling you now.

Maybe we were both wrong and it will fit just fine for you...hopefully it will. It will only cost you the time to get you a new cable worst case.

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are the pics of what I pulled out at the weekend.

DSC01825.jpg

DSC01824-1.jpg

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is exactly the controller I pulled out of my 96 Wellcraft 19.5 Excel. It has the VP Outdrive and Motor. For a while Volvo put the cobra sticker on the drive and that may be why you think you have an OMC drive. I believe in 98 tho, all of the drives were Volvo drives. anyway, if you go on ebay you can find the controller that is pictured above, not the one you pulled out but its replacement. I purchased mine along with a new set of cables and it all worked perfectly. I think Teleflex makes one also called the SL 1 that looks simular to the newer volvo controller, I would guess that the same plant in China probably makes all of them at the end of the day anyway.

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for that I have already ordered a new remote as I stated above and so hoping that everything will go together OK and with little trouble.
Don, thanks for the manual, looks like the connections will be easy to put back.

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had the shifter delivered yesterday and saved a whopping $200 compared to the price in the UK and that includes delivery, shows how we are being ripped off here in the UK......
I was just wondering about the connections, there is a large white connector coming from the unit, do I need this?
What is the button attached to the wiring loom for?
The only connections in the boat at the moment from the old wiring system are 3 wires, red, blue and green, is it just a case of connecting these to the shifter?
There are also 2 spade connectors, yellow and red, do these just go straight in to the shifter?
Any help as always would be appreciated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The button is an override button for the tilt which you won't use on your year Volvo.

You can cut off the larger connector...you can't use it.

You splice the red, blue and green wires into the same color wires on the new shifter.

The other two wires are the neutral safety switch wires.

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bruce, I to have the same cables as you have shown in the picture, both for the throttle and the shift.
According to the instructions they should fit the control, what was your reason for not being able to use this type of cable on the control?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can use the shift cable. It is the throttle cable that will be the problem.

If you look at the last photo I posted, the length of the throttle cable that extends out of the jacket will be too long.

Are you having the same problem or just getting started?

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just starting now.
I think that the existing cutout should be big enough to accept the control, so hoping no cutting will be neccessary.
Does it matter which way round the neutral safety wires are connected?
Any other tips and procedures you may have would be appreciated.
Looking at your pics I am right in saying that your shift cable clip pushes to engage forward gear. I thought you would need to put that clip onto the 7 and 8 position?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I don't remember what hole the shift is in. I put in the hole specified by the instructions. Again, what is shown in the photo is the throttle cable.

I don't believe the routing of the neutral safety wires was critical,

Have you decided that your old throttle cable is going to work or not? Unless I was totally missing something, I don't think you will be able to use it. Let me know if you find the same thing I did.

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your right the throttle cable is too long at the end no matter what I try and do.
Think I will change both after all while I am here,can you recommend a cable for both throttle and shift, please provide part numbers though because I will need to order here in the UK.