Squealing Noise When it Gets Warmed Up

Rose88

Seaman Apprentice
Have a 5.7 New Engine and SE116 New outdrive. Just started to squeal pretty loud when engine temp gets to 160ish
Pulled outdrive back off and raised front of engine and aligned. (Damage may already be done)? It was off about a 1/8 of an inch. We used same engine mounts just bolted them to new engine. ( may have been out of align the whole time )?
Someone else put the outdrive in. Went out with old engine 3 weeks ago and somehow the oil drain hose from bottom of pan came thru the hull where the PLUG is suppose to be....SMH...and got in the prop and cut it off and drained the engine oil and locked engine up. Owner learned valuable lesson. Don't assume the plug is in or whoever worked on your boat said its ready.

Anyway customer brought me his boat and we installed a new engine and ran great for about 30 min on muffs and then this squealing noise started. Squeals in neutral or in gear but will go away at different RPMS. Going to get it warm to where it will squeal and pull outdrive again and crank back to see if it goes away? Really last thing I know to do. Have already removed belt and cranked and squeal is still there. When you shut engine off its almost like it still squeals after engine stops turning kinda like a turbo squeal. Maybe manifold leak? Any ideas or solutions please reply.

thanks!

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi -- Hard to say exactly without being thier-- but wondering if when the hose was cut other damage occurred

Perhaps a stethoscope or even long screw driver held against the suspect area and your ear would help pinpoint the area,

It seems pulling the drive will help indicate if its drive related

Rose88

Seaman Apprentice
When the engine locked up I guess it could have put a strain on the coupler? I am fixing to warm it up until it squeals and pull the drive off and that will help me locate it I HOPE....LOL...

Will also video the noise this time to help others help me figure this out.

Rose88

Seaman Apprentice
Pulled outdrive and belt off still making this noise.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I don't know if a Chevy distributor can do this, but I have a 2005 jeep that the bushings in its disty chirp like that from when it was new. I have to lube it up to get it to go away for a few months.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Could it be from the Harmonic balancer ?

A google search indicates that's a possibility.

This assumes your using one as I am not sure of the years they were in use.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You didn't give the engine a bit of a rev so, not sure if it's rev related, but it sounds more like something rubbing. I also counted 20 'squeaks' in roughly 4.5 seconds, which is about 267 per minute, half idle revs, which is camshaft speed. I'd be looking closely at the distributor.

Rose88

Seaman Apprentice
Could it be from the Harmonic balancer ?

A google search indicates that's a possibility.

This assumes your using one as I am not sure of the years they were in use.

Yes it has a harmonic balancer, came with the new engine. I will take a closer look and see if there is any signs of paint missing

Rose88

Seaman Apprentice
You didn't give the engine a bit of a rev so, not sure if it's rev related, but it sounds more like something rubbing. I also counted 20 'squeaks' in roughly 4.5 seconds, which is about 267 per minute, half idle revs, which is camshaft speed. I'd be looking closely at the distributor.

When on the water it tends to get quieter at around 1800 rpm and sometimes 2200 rpms. What in the distributor would be squealing? needs lube? Shimming?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
When on the water it tends to get quieter at around 1800 rpm and sometimes 2200 rpms. What in the distributor would be squealing? needs lube? Shimming?

The shaft in the distributor runs on bushings. Can be an interesting exercise getting lube on them without disassembly.

Rose88

Seaman Apprentice
Could the roll pin not being in the gear all the way cause this? It is shiny on the end sticking out. Thinking that when the gears mesh that pin may be getting into the gear of cam??

Attachments

• photo316735.jpg
    photo316735.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316736.jpg
    photo316736.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316737.jpg
    photo316737.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0

scoflaw

Ensign
Doubt it would make a squeak. There's bushings in the distributor, pull the gear off and slide the shaft out.

Rose88

Seaman Apprentice
Doubt it would make a squeak. There's bushings in the distributor, pull the gear off and slide the shaft out.

Could the bushings be wore? This was the dist that was in the engine that locked up.

scoflaw

Ensign
It will take 10 min. to find out. I'd pull it out, clean the shaft and bore and check for play. Put some lube on the bushings.

You sure nothing is scraping on the flywheel ?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Now you have it out, pull the shaft out and lubricate it with some grease. Put it back together and see if the squeak goes away.

Rick

Rose88

Seaman Apprentice
No trying to check everything I can without having to pull engine again

Rose88

Seaman Apprentice
Shaft is out of dist and looks to have some wear to me. ??

Attachments

• photo316750.jpg
    photo316750.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316751.jpg
    photo316751.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316752.jpg
    photo316752.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0