4.3l mercruiser dies frequently

Heybuddy

Cadet
I just rebuild some things on my 86 sunchasser deck boat. It has the 4.3l mercruiser engine... I got the thing running ... new coil, plugs, wires, battery so now I replaced the impeller and some hoses along with a 140 degree thermostat. The engine starts good but once I get into gear and running it stalls with in minutes. My temp gauge is maxed out at 240 so my next idea is to replace the sensor?? Any ideas it’s engine S/N B403048

Heybuddy

Cadet
I’ve also read maybe replAcing the ignition sensor but not sure how that helps me

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Need more information. Are you running it on the trailer or in the water? Do you have muffs hooked up? What kind of RPM readings are you getting? Did you go through the carb, clean/rebuild? What is the state of the gasoline that you are using? Do you have a remote fuel filter? Have you checked its contents?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Ditto what Jim says,.....

Don't buy anything, til ya Diagnose the problem,......

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Does it just die when at idle? Maybe idle rpm too low? Could it be that simple?

Heybuddy

Cadet
Need more information. Are you running it on the trailer or in the water? Do you have muffs hooked up? What kind of RPM readings are you getting? Did you go through the carb, clean/rebuild? What is the state of the gasoline that you are using? Do you have a remote fuel filter? Have you checked its contents?

Thanks guys,

I am running it on trailer with muffs and my tach needle is sitting broken off in the gauge lol. Carb was opened and looked at didn’t touch much, cleaned the carb fuel filter just after fuel Inlet, made sure gas was flowing which it was... maybe not enough gas getting there? I replaced mechanical pump with a electric that does 3-5 psi I believe. So kinda weak... I installed a second filter between the pump and tank also haven’t checked it, not sure it comes apart.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am leaning towards it not getting enough fuel. Between the electric pump, extra filters, etc. your fuel mixture is not where it should be to run the engine properly. Personally, I would start over with the fuel system. Get back to a mechanical pump. The only filter I would use is a canister style filter/water separator. Any other filter is just going to restrict fuel flow. After that, re-build the carb.

Can I ask why you switched to an electric one? A properly working electric one may be masking bigger issues that are happening here, mainly, a carb that needs some work. Messing with the idle screw will only continue to be a masking solution rather than a fixing solution.

Also, get a shop tac to verify RPMs. You will need accurate readings in order to dial the carb in to where it should be.

Heybuddy

Cadet
I am leaning towards it not getting enough fuel. Between the electric pump, extra filters, etc. your fuel mixture is not where it should be to run the engine properly. Personally, I would start over with the fuel system. Get back to a mechanical pump. The only filter I would use is a canister style filter/water separator. Any other filter is just going to restrict fuel flow. After that, re-build the carb.

Can I ask why you switched to an electric one? A properly working electric one may be masking bigger issues that are happening here, mainly, a carb that needs some work. Messing with the idle screw will only continue to be a masking solution rather than a fixing solution.

Also, get a shop tac to verify RPMs. You will need accurate readings in order to dial the carb in to where it should be.

I too am leaning tword fuel and cArb rebuild now just trying to eliminate options and get some ideas to go on. I switch from mechanical pump to electric because when I bought the bought it had no pump installed but came with 2 different mechanical pumps to try... long story short the newer looking one did not work so I skipped trying the other. I am an electrician by trade so I saw an electric pump as a cheaper option... carb rebuild kit to come but the seasons are not working with me

highfigh

Seaman Apprentice
I just rebuild some things on my 86 sunchasser deck boat. It has the 4.3l mercruiser engine... I got the thing running ... new coil, plugs, wires, battery so now I replaced the impeller and some hoses along with a 140 degree thermostat. The engine starts good but once I get into gear and running it stalls with in minutes. My temp gauge is maxed out at 240 so my next idea is to replace the sensor?? Any ideas it’s engine S/N B403048

Measure the resistance of the temperature sensor when the engine is cold and when it's hot- if it remains the same, remove the wire from the sensor and make sure it returns to the lowest reading. If nothing changes, remove the wire from the sender at the gauge and see if it changes- if not, it's a bad or miswired gauge.

Are the exhaust manifolds hot? If not, and if you see a good amount of water coming out of the exhaust and at the transom, you may be OK from that standpoint. Did your impeller lose vanes? If it did, make sure to gather any loose pieces of rubber from the water intake slots. The boat I recently bought was badly overheated and I found the pieces behind the slots- they come out easily, by removing one screw from each side.

If the engine has overheated more than once, make sure the water shutter is intact, unlike mine. It was gone.

Have you cleaned the flame arrestor recently? That's the single most neglected piece I have seen on boats. Next time it stumbles, close the choke, to see if it dies or improves- if it improves, it's running lean. Have you checked the timing, lately? Is it at spec?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Speaking of water shutters, during an overheat the rubber can melt leaving the metal part to fall down into the exhaust and even all the way into the stern drive.
I found one in my drive when replacing my impeller.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it stalling or actually shutting off? i'm having a intermittent issue with my 93 4.3L where is actually shuts off under load, bit runs fine on muffs..havent found issue yet...but curious if yours sputs ans stalls...sounds like fuel rather rhen electrical.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Are you sure it's pumping water? Did you see water coming out of the back of the boat, both sides?