Ignition rotor won't pull off

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
2003 4.3L serial # OM643729. I pulled the distributor cap but I can't get the rotor off. Shouldn't it just pull off like a regular car rotor? I tried pulling, wiggling and then prying a little. I don't want to damage anything by prying. I don't want to damage the gasket area of the distributor.
Any suggestions?

Fun Times

Staff member
The rotor is usually either blue or red loctited on so you have to evenly pry it upwards the best you can....It takes a good effort to get the rotor to slide up....Plus the shaft might be rusty adding to the toughness.

This following video may help give you a visual of what you're dealing with towards the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UG512tSu0s

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Fun Times, Thanks for the quick response. So, I guess I'll just keep prying evenly. Should I apply some heat? What if it doesn't budge? Can I break off the plastic part? Would that even help? I don't want to damage the distributor.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Yer installin' a new one, Right,..??

I just bust the ole one off with a pair of plyers,.... Grab, Squeeze, 'n Twist is usually enough,....

Donno why they glue 'em on,.... It ain't goin' anywhere,.....

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Ayuh,..... Yer installin' a new one, Right,..??

I just bust the ole one off with a pair of plyers,.... Grab, Squeeze, 'n Twist is usually enough,....

Donno why they glue 'em on,.... It ain't goin' anywhere,.....

I was thinking of grabbing it with a pair of Channel Locks but I didn't want to force anything. OK I'll get out there tomorrow and "grab, squeeze, 'n twist the beast.
Should I use locktite on the new one? I can almost feel a need to use it since boats get beat around, unlike cars. Some people do the opposite and use dielectric grease. What do you suggest?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have never glued one back in

I have use vice grips in the past to split the rotor to remove

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
OK, got it off! I tried channel locks and vise grips but it wouldn't budge. I surgically cut away at it with a dremel and began splitting it with a screwdriver. Even with the plastic split in three it still was difficult to got it off. It fought me to the bitter end! I had no idea of the size or shape of the distributor shaft, so I had to be careful. It's all cleaned up and ready for a new sensor, rotor, cap and wires.
Given what I had to do it still wasn't the most difficult job. It was the fact I had never done this on this particular engine and that I've never had a rotor that didn't just pop off.
I want thank you guys again for the insight to get this job done.
Joe

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I just pulled both of mine a few weeks ago and went through what you did on one of them. Before you put the new one in, make sure there isn't any gunk left on the shaft. I used a scotchbrite pad to get the crap off and it took a lot of polishing before the new sensor would slide on.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I just pulled both of mine a few weeks ago and went through what you did on one of them. Before you put the new one in, make sure there isn't any gunk left on the shaft. I used a scotchbrite pad to get the crap off and it took a lot of polishing before the new sensor would slide on.

Thanks for your input. That's exactly what I did. I used a scotchpad with WD-40 to clean up the shaft. Haven't got the new parts yet, but I think things should come together as planned.