After 22 years and this is all

alldodge

Staff member
Didn't pull the drive last spring or fall on the Rinker, reason only put maybe 15 hours on the boat. So the current plan was to take some friends out to the far end on the lake (22 miles). Figured going that far I need to do some checking.

Pulled the drive and there was a little bit of lube in the boot, not much, would be of no concern with pressure checking later.

Then noticed a slight bit of brown in the lube located in the shift foot hole. Removed the top and back of the drive housing and found a slight leak in the O-ring gasket on the back shift foot area. Shows that a bit of rust had started but still slight.

Bought the boat new in 1994, and have been neglecting it a bit do to so little use. Has 667 hours on it and still a real good boat, have no complaints

Looked at the original boots are they still look great, moved then all over the place trying to find cracks but nothing. Guess I will use it the rest of this year and change them out this fall. At least that's the current plan

Bought new seal kit for the upper, hope it comes in soon so I can get her back together. Also bought two new water pump kits just cause

Photo958.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
She has been a good boat with only minor things that show up now and then. Most of what I see is from lack of use. Still a low hour boat at 660 so not bad. When the parts come in I'll do a repair and pic show, for stuff and giggles

The thought of doing a motor rebuild keeps crossing my mind now and then. Only reason for the thought is it's starting to burn a bit of oil, again from my view is lack of use.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
660 hours is like 30k on an automotive motor. Not a whole heck of a lot of wear and tear the way they get maintained. Burnin oil is most likely hard valve seals or something like that. Seems a waste to rebuild it. Fun tho :^)

alldodge

Staff member
Your probably right with the seals, but I am getting a slight bit of oil getting on the flame arrestor from the vent tubes. Good thing is this is a light boat so the 7.4 doesn't work to hard normally.

Would be kind of nice to see what a stroker would do, it already hits 60 mph with 4 folks aboard and the Bimini up. If I get it up to 70 or more I might feel the need for hydraulic steering

alldodge

Staff member
Use 3/6 hex wrench and remove the shift fork and shift lever
Photo959.jpg
Photo960.jpg

Once screws are out use the top screw and thread into top of shift shaft
Photo961.jpg

Normally you can take pliers or even just you firgers to lift it out. I used a pry bar and just lightly bounced it on both sides due to the rust on the bottom.
Photo962.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Pull the shift lever out enough to remove the cotter pin
Photo963.jpg

Then push link bar and latch forward and pull it out
Photo964.jpg

Here are all the pieces, o-ring on top and seal on bottom. Popped the bottom seal out with a small flat tip
Photo966.jpg

Now just need to clean them up and wait for parts to come in.
I keep the top on to keep dirt out and be carful with all the needle bearings when remove/install
Photo967.jpg

Rick Stephens

Admiral
amazing engineering. 22 years and still looks like new, for the most part. how long has Merc been building outdrives?

alldodge

Staff member
Mercury started in 1947 with outboards, I think 1963 or 64 for Alpha's and Bravo's started around 1988 with big blocks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It's Amazin' they hold up to the abuse We put 'em through, ain't it,..??..?? :D

Plenty of fresh clean oil is the key, I think,....