1992 Johnson 30Hp Questions

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well the '72 50hp needs a rebuild so I picked up something else to use the rest of the season.

I believe it is a 1992 Johnson 30hp longshaft (SN#:63033185).

20140716_195054_zps766ea691.jpg

Has anyone wired up on of these?

20140718_143639_zpsea4ff3e5.jpg

20140718_143655_zpsf9f916fd.jpg

20140718_175651_zpsb95ab464.jpg

The primer systems seems to work but nothing when I turn the key to start it up. Ran fine the other night when I picked it up.

Both batteries I tried were fully charged so I must have wired something wrong.

I also cleaned all connections as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Thank you,
Ryan

Last edited:

fstorm08

Here is a good shot of the back of the ignition switch. My thumb is directly on the back side of where it says "Off" on the face of the switch.

e72adf45-349b-4f98-8e5f-b7b62751b7b5_zps92ec3cda.jpg

Can someone in where each wire connects to :confused:?

Thanks very much,
Ryan

fstorm08

Took her out for a test run and she ran great except for it seeming to cut out around 1500rpm for a split second then picked back up.
Any ideas? I will need to do more investigation as it only did this when I think it was running around 1200-1600. Not sure as the tach was not working.

fstorm08

Took her out for a test run and she ran great except for it seeming to cut out around 1500rpm for a split second then picked back up. Any ideas? I will need to do more investigation as it only did this when I think it was running around 1200-1600. Not sure as the tach was not working.
Does anyone have an idea what may be the issue?

fstorm08

Does anyone have an idea what may be the issue?[/QUOTE**
It did not do it in the bucket today so I will take it for another test run and see if it happens again under the load it would be under.
If it does happen, I'll try to get a video of it. I am also working on getting the tach wired right so it works too.

Last edited:

fstorm08

I cleaned all the electrical connections on the motor tonight so I'll see how that goes.

Seems odd that none has posted to this... oh well. Thanks for the views.

fstorm08

I heard back from BRP. My serial number came back as an Evinrude model E30ELENR.

jasper60103

Commander
I cleaned all the electrical connections on the motor tonight so I'll see how that goes.
Seems odd that none has posted to this... oh well. Thanks for the views.

I don't comment much since the website "upgrade". I don't like it.

Anywho, I couldnt hear the cut out you mentioned.
Hopefully all goes well. Thanks for sharing.

fstorm08

Thanks Jasper. I agree, every since the upgrade, every time you post anything, you get a error.

I am hoping to get back out this weekend (with the tach working :) ) If it happens, I'll try to get a video of both the motor and tach.

Who knows, maybe all is good :)

Thanks again

Last edited:

fstorm08

Hi All,

Still having trouble getting a tach to read from this motor. I even ran a wire from the terminal where the grey wire is on the terminal right to the back of the tach and still no reading. I do have juice going to the tach so that's not the issue.

If anyone has this same motor, can you take some pics of the wiring at the terminal block on the motor as I am suspecting that the gray wire is not connected to the correct terminal to read the pulses from the motor?

Thanks in advance everyone for your help :)

Ryan

fstorm08

I tested the rectifier and believe this is the reason why the tach is not working.

Pdubh

Recruit
I couldn't hear the issue you had with the motor cutting out, but I was wondering if it was something that happens all the time under load or just intermittently? Let me know because this motor doesn't have a horn to indicate overheating. it uses a throttle reducer to lower the RPMs. There are several things that could be going on with the motor to cause that, and since I own either a 92 or 93 30 hp, I've been through the gambit of fixes and can tell you what to look for.

Patrick

fstorm08

Thank you for the response Pdubh!

I am working on getting another video up to youtube which I am hoping you will be able to hear the drop off them pick back up I am talking about.

Also, I think the rectifier is bad as I have tried pretty much everything to get the tach working. I even ran a wire directly from the terminal block to the back of the tach.

Standby and again, Thank you!

nwcove

Admiral
does the misfire/sneeze get more pronounced or happen more often if you run it at a higher rpm.....the motor just doesnt sound right in general?

fstorm08

runs great and purrs like a kitten except for this little cut-out around whatever this rpm is that it does this and the fact that I cannot get a tach to work on it.