92 johnson 48 new ignition switch wiring questions

philliph

Cadet
hello,

i am helping a buddy wire up a new ignition switch in his boat. he lost the key so now we are stuck where we are at. the boat has a 92 Johnson 48 hp. the problem i have is that it has had several ignitions and motors on it so the wiring looks like spaghetti. none of the diagrams that Ive found are helping and the existing switch isn't labeled on the back of it. if it were labeled this would be pretty simple.

What i want to do is run new wires from the motor all the way to the ignition switch. at that point I would basically have color coded wires that are the same on each end. can anyone help me determine what wires I need to tag at the motor end for everything on my ignition switch? if it helps he has a push to choke system.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 92 johnson 48 new ignition switch wiring questions

Suggest you stick to the wiring code as indicated below to avoid future errors!

Purple wire: From battery terminal of starter solenoid to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch.

Purple/White wire: From primer solenoid terminal to the "C" terminal of the ignition switch.

White wire: From one of the 3/8" nut terminals of the starter solenoid to the "S" terminal of the ignition switch. (Other 3/8" nut terminal goes to ground).

Black/Yellow wire: From Black/Yellow wire terminal of the powerpack to the "raised M" terminal of the ignition switch.

Black wire: From the other "regular M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

Purple wire: From any accessory you want 12v applied to ONLY when the key is ON... to the "A" terminal of the igntion switch.

Other engine wiring:

Gray wire from gray wire terminal of volt regulator/rectifier at engine to Tachometer "S" (sensor) terminal... OR attached to tachometer gray wire if so equipped.

Now, what are you going to do the rest of the day? :)

philliph

Cadet
Re: 92 johnson 48 new ignition switch wiring questions

Suggest you stick to the wiring code as indicated below to avoid future errors!

Purple wire: From battery terminal of starter solenoid to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch.

Purple/White wire: From primer solenoid terminal to the "C" terminal of the ignition switch.

White wire: From one of the 3/8" nut terminals of the starter solenoid to the "S" terminal of the ignition switch. (Other 3/8" nut terminal goes to ground).

Black/Yellow wire: From Black/Yellow wire terminal of the powerpack to the "raised M" terminal of the ignition switch.

Black wire: From the other "regular M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

Purple wire: From any accessory you want 12v applied to ONLY when the key is ON... to the "A" terminal of the igntion switch.

Other engine wiring:

Gray wire from gray wire terminal of volt regulator/rectifier at engine to Tachometer "S" (sensor) terminal... OR attached to tachometer gray wire if so equipped.

Now, what are you going to do the rest of the day? :)

amazing. thank you. I am going to give it a shot.