Evinrude 18 hp 1957 not starting

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi
Second evinrude I bought as non running but other one runs great
This is a 1957 18hp electric start version ( no serial numbers or model anywhere etc)
Reliably informed on above by a marine engineer who's seen it and taken part numbers for approx year etc
Compression is 120 psi on both cylinders and renewed both coils / leads / plug caps and plugs
Points and capacitors are on way but she sparks great
Fully cleaned carb and renewed float / needle valve and washer and new gasket
Replaced all packing in the slow and fast jets...didnt remove silver metal disc and cleaned inside but carb is mint
Found an old manual on the net which states both valves should be turned in and back out 3/4 turn for starting reference
Points have been gapped 20 thou from the key on the shaft as reference and plugs at 30 thou
New fuel mixed at 25:1
It backfires and once I got it running rough but no more.....positivel the points are correct and even adjusted slow jet out but still no joy
Noticed the timing plate can move when franking over which seems a no no but cannot see anything amiss
Plugs seem to be getting fuel and will not start if fuel is inserted via plug hole which indicates timing
Baffled to say the least...

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 18 hp 1957 not starting

Have you done your link'n'sinc?Did you check that your spark can jump at least 5/16 inch open air gap.You may need to remove that core plug and clean the passages underneath it.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you done your link'n'sinc?Did you check that your spark can jump at least 5/16 inch open air gap.You may need to remove that core plug and clean the passages underneath it.

I don't have a spark plug tester but spark is strong and bluish....not sure how to link and sink and not sure what you mean by cleaning passages
I restored a seagull and a little evinrude 4 hp but this 18 hp is a little bit more involved

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Are you certain the plug leads are on the correct plugs?

Slow speed jet static setting is 1.5 turns out from gently seated.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you certain the plug leads are on the correct plugs?

Slow speed jet static setting is 1.5 turns out from gently seated.
Yes even removed stator plate and traced the lead to make sure....read link and sinc and I think it's correct but will have another go....started of at 1.5 turns originally but still same issue
Could the reed valves be stuck open?
http://joeoutboard.com/resources/Manuals/Johnson/OMC12-20hp.pdf
This is what I found about my engine

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Is the flywheel key sheared? Did you torque it? Use a factory key?

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the flywheel key sheared? Did you torque it? Use a factory key?

Key looks fine and no I didn't torque it but just tightened up
Just looked at a diagram on the carb and noticed it as a high speed orifice
I didn't remove this to clean it as I thought it was just a bowl drain screw..... Could this be the culprit

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

not clear what you are calling the high speed oriface, as you said you replaced packing on both needles. The Intertec manual shows a fixed jet along with the h.s. needle, with the fixed jet for later models -- wouldn't think the high speed needle would be confused with a drain screw or plug, so not sure what you meant. For a cleaning, the carb really needs to be disassembled and soaked -- not clear whether yours needs it or not. Since you had it running a little, you might try resetting the needles first (about one turn out for the l.s., and 3/4 out for the h.s.). Not sure whether you have the pressure tank or a fuel pump conversion, but either would need to be operating right, of course. Plugs are J4s (J4C replaces the J4J shown in the manual). J6s could work too. Might just need some tweaking (look for a lean air/fuel mix). Easier if your electric starter is working for initial set up and trouble shooting. Dip the leg well into a barrel -- a few inches above the impeller. If pumping, there will be a good flow out of the exhaust port on the rear of the leg, and the top of the head will remain cool enough to touch. If other than that, shut it down and plan on changing the impeller (didn’t see reference to that, but may have missed it.)
good motors.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You likely sheared your key then, and the timing is thrown off, giving you the backfiring. ALWAYS torque it before attempting to start, and ensure the taper and flywheel hole are CLEAN. I wipe both off with acetone before installing the flywheel and torqueing the spec.

By the way, your flywheel torque is 40 ft/lbs.

Have any pics of motor? Here are my 2 1957 18hp Electric Starts. One is original, 1 is restored.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

not clear what you are calling the high speed oriface, as you said you replaced packing on both needles. The Intertec manual shows a fixed jet along with the h.s. needle, with the fixed jet for later models -- wouldn't think the high speed needle would be confused with a drain screw or plug, so not sure what you meant. For a cleaning, the carb really needs to be disassembled and soaked -- not clear whether yours needs it or not. Since you had it running a little, you might try resetting the needles first (about one turn out for the l.s., and 3/4 out for the h.s.). Not sure whether you have the pressure tank or a fuel pump conversion, but either would need to be operating right, of course. Plugs are J4s (J4C replaces the J4J shown in the manual). J6s could work too. Might just need some tweaking (look for a lean air/fuel mix). Easier if your electric starter is working for initial set up and trouble shooting. Dip the leg well into a barrel -- a few inches above the impeller. If pumping, there will be a good flow out of the exhaust port on the rear of the leg, and the top of the head will remain cool enough to touch. If other than that, shut it down and plan on changing the impeller (didn?t see reference to that, but may have missed it.)
good motors.

where the high speed jet enters the bottom of the carb they is a screw situated on the side of the float bowl....it's inline with the jet tip
I thought it was a drain screw but apparently you remove this screw and they is a orifice there
Will check woodruff key to see if sheared and will buy a torque wrench
I understand now how to sinc throttle plate to cam follower
This engine is just a toy so to speak but it will run as long I have compression / fuel / spark it will go
Just a case of finding out why lol
Read on Internet similar problems with this engine but they were no out come
Nice engines.....mines a golden jubilee so could be 1959
Was told 1957 by a marine engineer

Last edited:

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You likely sheared your key then, and the timing is thrown off, giving you the backfiring. ALWAYS torque it before attempting to start, and ensure the taper and flywheel hole are CLEAN. I wipe both off with acetone before installing the flywheel and torqueing the spec.

Have any pics of motor? Here are my 2 1957 18hp Electric Starts. One is original, 1 is restored.

Nice engines....just checked key it looks ok but only showing around 2 mm from shaft so will replace
Any idea what size they are

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you do replace the key, DONT use a generic hardware store key, it will shear. Go to the dealer and buy it.

What is your model number, we should verify a year for you first. I posted the pics because I had a feeling you did not have a '57.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

same suspicion about models based on carb comments. That Intertec manual you have covers a number of models (e.g., reference to the fixed jet along with the h.s. needle in the blow up). Sounds like a '59, like you suggest above.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i say its a 59 golden jubilee...unfortunately the serial numbers are missing long time ago
i asked a evinrude dealer here in uk to send one for a 59 version
went out and bought a torque wrench lol

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

good motor, in any case. The '59 might have a thermostat, not sure (location as indicated in your Intertec manual). If so, might want to pull it out and test it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

This would be the '59 Fastwin.

1959 Fastwin.jpg

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This would be the '59 Fastwin.

View attachment 229347

Yeah that's the one , basically it's the same one in the first picture on the left....not sure a little boy can start it though as its quite a tug to pull start it.
Says in the brochure eazi start which I presume is a cam fitted into the engine acting like a decompressor like in the lark version.
If so its not fitted on mine.....got electric start though

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The eas a matic starter refers to the actual recoil itself. It differs from the earlier simplex, as it is oval, and you need to "time" it by adjusting the length of the rope. If you flip your recoil over, you will see the timing marks on it. This aids in pulling it over.

Havent seen many properly timed though, lol

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wow, beautiful motors