stuffing cylinders with nylon rope to remove flywheel nut??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: stuffing cylinders with nylon rope to remove flywheel nut??

Tanks royal0014 and eavega, I just did the same thing and it worked great! 2-3 wraps around the circumfrance of the flywheel with the hook of the strap in the loop on engine for lifting the motor. Used a regualr 3/8" ratchet with 1/2" adapter which had a 1-1/16 ratchet on it along with a 2 ft. piece of galvaized plumbers pipe used as a breaker bar and the nut came undone! Leverage is awesome. Now on to removing the flywheel itself!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you guys impact gun is far more powerful than mine.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

A Gnat that runs like a Rolex? Simply getting one to run is an accomplishment!!

Seriously Scott, I kid you not. I can HAND start this motor, I'll email you a vid of it, i'm just as shocked as i've read 100 times to Sunday that they are a PITA motor.

kfa4303

Banned

Success! So after using the nylin strap trick to hold the flywheel, and using a pipe as a breaker bar, I rented a Harmonic Balancer Puller from the auto parts store (nerver used one before). Followed the directions here on iboats and it came right off. Coils look good/new (no cracks, scoreches, discoloring, etc...), condensers look brand new too, but points were super cruddy so gonna get a new set tomorrow. Everything I'ver read said that TN/TD model Johnsons all use the same points (#580148) is that correct? Should I be able to get tham at my local dealer? Also, I've seen a brand called Sierra offereing replacement parts (with diff. model numbers) are they good, bad, ugly? Thanks again everyone! I almost got her running........almost :) 1966 33HP Johnson btw.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That motor uses the OMC Universal Magneto. So do a bazillion other Evinrude and Johnson motors from the 1950's up into the 1970's, including some TN's but not TD's. Heck, they were even used in some old Lawn Boy lawn mowers. Since they are used everywhere, parts are available all over the world, including here at iboats. (iboats sells Sierra).

Yes, 580148 is the correct number. Sierra 18-5156

Status
Not open for further replies.