Changing a fuel sending unit...

greggk

Recruit
Done the "tests" Ive read here and its the sending unit...
I have access to it, its in a 2002 center console 19ft Triumph. I can see a # on the tank FT3912, 39gal plastic.
I dont know how to find the correct one I need? Then when I find the one how do i put it in? Is it difficult...? Thanks

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Changing a fuel sending unit...

Not hard at all just may be tricky getting to the sender unit, don't know how that tank and unit is positioned in yours, I practically needed to stand on my head to get at mine. A universal one available here at iboats or any marine store should work ok. Did you do the tests as described on the teleflex website, a good sketch of what to do to test all sorts of gauges and sender unit. Be careful with fuel vapors and spills--keep the boat as level as you can and hopefully not full up to the top with fuel or you will get a big mess when you open up that sender unit---don't ask how I know!

Make sure the top surrounding area of the tank is clean before you put in the new one, or you can get fuel leaks, always a bad thing. Check your work after with some soapy water around all joints for tell tale bubbles.

Joe

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Changing a fuel sending unit...

the new unit will come with a new rubber gasket but save the old screws as sometimes the threads are different and you may need to use the old screws again.