Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston rings for 40 Hp Johnson RD-22

I have 1960 40 Hp Johnson RD-22
    I have one piston ring broken out of 3 in one cylinder piston. Where do I find new ring set for it. Does anyone know part number ?
    It is standard size. Thanks alot.
    Attached Files

Re: Piston rings for 40 Hp Johnson RD-22

I would check Seaway Marine, up in Seattle, or Engine Blade and Prop. These two places stock a lot of parts for those older engines. You may also want to check the condition of your pistons and cylinder walls, once you get it apart. If you found a broken ring in one of the cylinders, then it could possibly have scored the cylinder wall.
    Admiral Zephyr

1941 Johnson HD-20 (in restoration)
    1947 Sea King 5hp
    1948 Evinrude Sportsman
    1951 Evinrude Fastwin
    1955 Johnson CD-12
    1955 Johnson RD-17
    1955 Evinrude Big Twin
    1956 Johnson RD-18
    1957 Evinrude Big Twin
    1958 Evinrude Fisherman
    1958 Johnson FDE-12
    1959 Johnson RDSL-21B
    1974 Tanaka 1hp (screamin' drink mixer )

Comment

Originally posted by 1946Zephyr View Post
      I would check Seaway Marine, up in Seattle, or Engine Blade and Prop. These two places stock a lot of parts for those older engines. You may also want to check the condition of your pistons and cylinder walls, once you get it apart. If you found a broken ring in one of the cylinders, then it could possibly have scored the cylinder wall.
      Part number is 308108, probably a set of three.

Comment

Actually I had the engine taken apart. Cylinder walls were good and I did a light honing job. The bottom ring of one piston got too much carbon, while cleaning it, I accidentally broke it.

Comment

Awesome! Then you should be good to go with a re-ring job. I see tiller handles too. Kind of a rare find on one of these.
          Those are good engines and quite reliable, but be careful that you don't let it runaway on you. These models 1960 - 61 were notorious for twisting the cranks, in a runaway situation. This is mostly because they still used the same crank as the 35, but increased the bore diameter. The flywheel is also pretty heavy too. Just make sure that the cut out solenoids are in good working order. They ground out the ignition system should a runaway situation occur.
          In 1962, they redesigned the 40's with a heftier crank and a two ring piston. You'll also notice that the compression releases were no longer on the heads, from '62 on. These are still good motors and still are lots of them around.
          Good luck with the rebuild. I think it'll turn out great.
          Admiral Zephyr

1941 Johnson HD-20 (in restoration)
          1947 Sea King 5hp
          1948 Evinrude Sportsman
          1951 Evinrude Fastwin
          1955 Johnson CD-12
          1955 Johnson RD-17
          1955 Evinrude Big Twin
          1956 Johnson RD-18
          1957 Evinrude Big Twin
          1958 Evinrude Fisherman
          1958 Johnson FDE-12
          1959 Johnson RDSL-21B
          1974 Tanaka 1hp (screamin' drink mixer )

Comment

install piston

im trying to replace a piston on my johnson 60hr how did you get the piston out thank you do you have to remove head

Comment

Working...
            X