How do I wire-up my OMC tachometer?

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought an OMC tachometer for my 1979 Evinrude 85hp V4 outboard. The boat never had a tachometer and I'm going to install one.

The pics below show the tachometer and I also have pics of my motor below as well in case that reference is needed.

I have a positive lead and negative/ground (that's easy to do, no sweat) but I also have a "PULL" lead that I do not know exactly where or how to tie that into the motor. I know it's reading voltage and that's how the tach reads the RPMs but I'm not sure where to connect this lead.

There is also a lead on the top that is not labeled. Do I need this one as well? Where does it go? Is it for illumination? (the tach is illuminated)

Thanks!

OMCTachRear.jpg

OMCTachFront.jpg

Solenoid2.jpg

Solenoid1.jpg

spingley

Seaman
Re: How do I wire-up my OMC tachometer?

I just bought an OMC tachometer for my 1979 Evinrude 85hp V4 outboard. The boat never had a tachometer and I'm going to install one.

The pics below show the tachometer and I also have pics of my motor below as well in case that reference is needed.

I have a positive lead and negative/ground (that's easy to do, no sweat) but I also have a "PULL" lead that I do not know exactly where or how to tie that into the motor. I know it's reading voltage and that's how the tach reads the RPMs but I'm not sure where to connect this lead.

There is also a lead on the top that is not labeled. Do I need this one as well? Where does it go? Is it for illumination? (the tach is illuminated)

Thanks!

OMCTachRear.jpg

OMCTachFront.jpg

Solenoid2.jpg

Solenoid1.jpg

The gray wire coming off the terminal strip on right side of motor hooks to the pulse (PULL) terminal on back of tach. The lead on top is for light.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is true. But you don't have to go all the way back to the motor to get the gray pickup. It is patiently waiting for you in the remote control. You are going to have to go in there anyway to get the switched +12V right?

However the 1979 models have a tachometer plug on the control. You have it made--no need to even open the control. Just get a plug/wire from a dealer and plug it in. Easy!

Attachments

• Tachometer plug-in.jpg
    Tachometer plug-in.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 12

spingley

Seaman

That is true. But you don't have to go all the way back to the motor to get the gray pickup. It is patiently waiting for you in the remote control. You are going to have to go in there anyway to get the switched +12V right?

However the 1979 models have a tachometer plug on the control. You have it made--no need to even open the control. Just get a plug/wire from a dealer and plug it in. Easy!

That's how I did mine, used the switched 12V to wire up a volt meter while I was at it. Mine already had the unused plug on the remote control, just sitting there with no wires hooked up to it all these years.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

That's how I did mine, used the switched 12V to wire up a volt meter while I was at it. Mine already had the unused plug on the remote control, just sitting there with no wires hooked up to it all these years.
Now that's usefull information and a relief that I do not have to go back to the motor!:D Thanks!

Now, what's a remote (gear shifter?) and does anyone have a picture of which wire this adapter plugs in?

What you describes sound extremely simple but a picture is worth 1,000 words. I'm nervous about splicing into the wrong wires if for some reason I don't find the harness you are talking about.

Again, THANK YOU! This is a huge help. I can't wait to get it put in.:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Now that's usefull information and a relief that I do not have to go back to the motor!:D Thanks!

Now, what's a remote (gear shifter?) and does anyone have a picture of which wire this adapter plugs in?

What you describes sound extremely simple but a picture is worth 1,000 words. I'm nervous about splicing into the wrong wires if for some reason I don't find the harness you are talking about.

Again, THANK YOU! This is a huge help. I can't wait to get it put in.:D

Remote control: The box on the side of the boat that has the shift and throttle lever---and key switch

The tachometer plug is below the key switch, just waiting for you. It probably has a rubber cap on it now. If you choose not to get a tachometer cable & plug, you will have to take the control apart to access the wires. You would rather get a cable?? I thought so.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Oh yeah, that little harness plug under the key. I always wondered what that was for. I figured diagnostics or something.

This will be easy! Power, ground, and pulse all in one plug. Man thanks a lot for the tip! TRUELY an easy install and no chance of choosing the wrong wire. Thanks!

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

I finally got a chance to install the tachometer. Everything works great! I couldn't find a plug-in under $35 so for three wires, I just hard-wired it in. Works fine. I can always add the harness later if needed.

Thanks for all the help. I very much appreciate it!:D

Tachometer1.jpg