1988 Johnson VRO 110 reliability of the oil injection?

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Just picked up a 1988 ranger fisherman that sat from 1990-2016 when my buddy bought it. He used it 3 times from 2016 till now, and now I’m the owner of it.

Boat was always garaged kept and shows like new.

My question is from the lack of use should I worry about the oil injection system? I don’t want to be worrying about it failing if I can switch to premix now I will....?

also, the trim motor only works when I’m tapping on it with a hammer kinda like when a starter is starting to fail you can get it a tap and get it to spin again. Safe to assume the trim motor needs replacement?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Ask 10 people about oil and oil injection.------You get 15 opinions.-------The oil injection pump is easy to take apart / inspect / maintain.------Test procedure for warning system and oil consumption is spelled out in the book.----The owner of such a system must maintain the system.-----Keeping an eye on it becomes more important if there is only occasional use of the motor.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The OMC tech reps said "VRO" stands for "very risky oiling". Seen to many pump fails from sonic welds breaking internally to oil shaft pulled from stem. Only pump I half way trust is the OMS pumps after 1994. Drain and flush the oiltank and line as old oil will gel..

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
So is it best to rebuild the oil injection system now before any issues? Or should I just remove it and run pre mix so I can truly know the engine is getting enough oil?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
IMO, I would remove it and run premix. Seen too many VRO's fail.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I personally like the VRO system. That being said I would not trust a Vro pump sitting for 20 yrs. Don't waste your money on the VRO rebuild kit I have not seen many that work. I would do one of 3 things

#1 Replace the Vro Completely with a new OMS pump.
#2 Disconnect the oil side and run the existing Vro pump as a pre-mix pump
#3 replace the existing VRO pump with the 88 hp pump.

I have seen more broken rings on the V4 motors than I have seen failed VRO pumps. Which ever way you decide to go make sure sure you run some kind of carbon prevention.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
If I was a betting man I would bet this motor probably has 50hours on it at most. It will be used probably 5 times a season, I have a 2 year old and one on the way. I just need some ME time every once in a while, and do plan on making some great fishing memories with my 2 year old.

I will delete the oil injection system and just mix the gas in a gas can and fill the boat up.

i have been working on engines for 10+ years now so I’m not worried about diving into it. The million dollar question is does anyone have a step by step on how to delete the system?

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Another thought that ran into my head after posting that, can I just leave the factory VRO pump intact and just premix my fuel?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Newbie----Post #6 mentions doing just that , #2 on the list.-----That motor has a spot in the intake manifold to mount a conventional pump ( much less money ) if you so wish to do that.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
I started to remove the oil injection system today. I found the 2 wires that come from the oil tank itself and I disconnected them. I found the 3 or 4 wire plug that runs to the pump itself and unplugged that. I just need to get a cap for where the oil line itself attaches to the motor. I plan on leaving that oil tank/line on the boat in case someone later on wants to re use this system.

From what I gathered online these are the steps I need to follow for proper bypass.

then I will drain the fuel tank and add fresh fuel with a 50:1 ratio maybe a little heavier on the oil for the first tank to be safe.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These motors are nearly world famous for broken piston rings.----I would do a compression test first before spending any coins on this motor.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
From what I gathered online they aren’t horrible and since they are pretty even across there isn’t much to be worried about. I plan on doing a decarb in the spring time.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Easy to inspect the pistons / rings through the bypass covers.----Will cost you for 4 gaskets about $2.00 each.------Will avoid possible panic in the spring.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Easy to inspect the pistons / rings through the bypass covers.----Will cost you for 4 gaskets about $2.00 each.------Will avoid possible panic in the spring.

I will try with a different gauge this weekend and see what happens. As far as the oil injection bypass goes does it look like I’ve done it right?

PhilSch

Cadet
Newbie:

Your compression is fine. Cut the oil line close to the motor (inside or outside the cowling) and use a 5/16" bolt and hose clamp to block it off. The minor hassle of running premix is worth the peace of mind for many.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Here’s an update. Some good some bad. I remove the 12 gallon fuel tank, decided to remove the entire oil system. Ran a 50:1 oil ratio and the motor ran flawlessly. But the issue is now when I turn on the key there’s an alarm/buzzer going off. I don’t know for what? The motor was running in a 55 gallon drum. Not on ear muffs. Plenty of water out of the pee hole and also water coming out of the exhaust ports.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
It will alarm key on engine off/key on engine running. No idea why it’s got plenty of water.