No announcement yet.

Checking Timing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I bought this motor in 1998 as a teenager because it matched the age of my boat (family heirloom kind of thing). It didnt run all that well, BUT it did not miss, until after the rebuild. Ironically, when I bought it, the ignition had been converted with an old auto style coil and resister, which I reversed back in 2001 when I bought a new wire harness, CDI and coil. It idles well, has good power and runs well at WOT.

Comment

Great background info...TY.

What plugs are you using?

Verify that the HS jets are correct.....people often mess with resizing.

You know that you are a very poor driver when Siri says : "In 1/4 mile pull over and let me out...."

Comment

Thanks. Is there a size scribed into the hs jets? Im running j4cs

Comment

L76V plugs maybe? Did you try the timing light trick yet? (no flash, no spark)

Comment

I havent yet as just got the new coil wire boot, and its not on a boat currently. Ive got the 1968 saftmate at a resto shop with plan to have it restored this winter. I may put this motor on my other old boat so that I can run it in the lake in the next few weeks.

Comment

AHH, just found that 2 spark plug wires are loose at the threaded fitting (one pulled out unconnected to the fitting). Are these wires salvageable or best to just replace (assuming I can)?? They are probably original wires, as I dont recall replacing during my 20 some years of ownership.

Comment

I had that motor for 30+ years from new.
                The centre-fire plugs were always iffy....for every day use. They were reportedly great for extended WOT operation.
                I had way better luck with gapped plugs....suggested ones are QL77JC4.

I replaced plug wires once. I carefully removed old threaded connectors and reused them with bulk metal-core wires that I bought.
                You know that you are a very poor driver when Siri says : "In 1/4 mile pull over and let me out...."

Comment

deleted as it was covered above

Comment

Sorry the jc4s are what im running

Comment

Now just waiting for new wires to arrive

Comment

Originally posted by atengnr View Post
                        Sorry the jc4s are what im running
                        ???
                        What plug are you running?
                        In post #33 you said
                        Im running j4cs
                        Correct gapped-plug is L77JC4

Per your question, most HS orifices have the number etched in....but some do not.

Comment

jc4 it is.

Comment

New set of plug wires are installed. Now just need some warmer weather to take this for a run on the lake.

Comment

Working...
                            X