Trim not working while underway 1995 150ELEOM

w2much

Lieutenant
Trim and tilt seem to work OK on the driveway. Sometimes there is a slight hesitation when the switch on the cowl is activated. It may do so a bit more from the binnacle control. While underway from the binnacle the switch located there does not work. It works on the driveway when the motor is not running, it does not with the motor running. Unfortunately I have not been able to test the cowl switch while underway. I looked for a bad wire or connection, cleaned all of the connections including the plug behind the air box. So while the ignition is on , motor running the motor will not trim or tilt while moving in gear. It does work while not running in the drive.. Has any person experienced this or have advice . I do not see why it can doe this.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It does not trim up with the motor RUNNING in the driveway.-----And it does trim when motor is stopped ?-----Get a wiring diagram and go over the motor and your control box.-----Any pictures of your control and relay box on the motor ?

w2much

Lieutenant
racerone, Sometimes your replies are a bit blunt, sometimes a bit short . Examples of this would be "get a manual" ,"yes or no " or "get a wiring diagram and go over the wiring ". Speaking of myself and others I imagine these type of answers can be dismissive. Not because they are incorrect but because we are lazy and just want the answer, not the work involved in finding the answer. This morning seeing the answer above I thought well no sh..t check the wiring diagram. I know this motor pretty well so why check the diagram. But I did. I broke out the OEM OMC manual for this engine and followed and read. I never considered the trim gauge, nor the trim sender switch might be considered. The gauge has never worked so I never considered it. I did think my issue had to do with ignition on / off but did not see any correlation as both the cowl switch and the binnacle switch both operate the trim and tilt while the ignition is off . I will be checking the trim gauge, ignition switch, the striped wires and the purple wires. I know that the striped wires provide the current to operate the relays which in turn operate the TT motor. These were checked with engine off at the relay but never with ignition on at the gauge. I am guessing ( again ) that this will lead me to both the problem and solution of my issue. I will post my results as I get to it. I appreciate your replies and this time the slap in the back of the head. When I cant find my keys or my glasses I ask my wonderful wife where they are. When she replies "did you look for them " I reply "yes" even though I did not. I want the keys or glasses handed to me.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
W2much.... Your explanations sort of brought a smile to my face as it brought back memories of just such a happening many years ago. The problem in my case... and I suspect yours... was that the voltage supply and ground was wired into the ignition switch at some point. I don't really recall the exact setup... BUT... disconnecting it, getting it away from the ignition switch, then wiring it as it should be..... fused (or not fused) red wire of PTT switch to battery positive (+)... Ground to battery negative (-)

Let us know what you find.

w2much

Lieutenant
GA Boater,no it was a different motor. I will add to that post later as it has come back to me leaking.

w2much

Lieutenant
Joe, time got away from me again. I will get back on it ASAP. Probably tomorrow.

w2much

Lieutenant
Finally got back to this one.I followed racerones advice and went to the diagram in the manual. I did not realize that the tilt limit switch was wired in with the up circuit. Actually I never realized what the trim sender, the tilt limit switch and the trim gauge was all about. I have had the boat for about 12 years. The trim gauge never did work. Now I really do not care that it does or not except that these three items were the cause of my problem. Actually four items , I forgot the tilt limit switch cam. From what I see the cam had moved, this in turn limited the up circuit . The cam activates the tilt limit switch. If the cam moves out of adjustment it will limit even stop the up circuit from working at all.
I hope that makes sense. What does not make sense to me is the fact that instead of bypassing the blue striped wires from the tilt limit switch, I hate to just start cutting wires, I disconnected the solid green wire bullet connector behind the airbox from the trim sender. Now all seems to be working fine. Does the trim gauge have other function than just reflecting the position of the trim sensor or can it open or shut the up or down circuit ?

w2much

Lieutenant
Thank you boobie. I appreciate your reply.The reason I asked was that the tachometer has functions beside just RPM, triggering warning horn ect, I just wanted reassurance that the trim gauge did not also have multifunction safeguards that might affect my trim and tilt from operating free and clear of a bad gauge.Very good to know.