Evinrude 85293r Wireing Control Box

Hello,

i just picked i a used evinrude 85293R motor. The control box was not wired up so I am going to attempt to get it wired. It seems simple enough. Just put connectors on the wires and plug them up to the correct terminals on the switch and ignition . Right? I hope so anyway. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the control box and any advice on getting this wired up? Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is an electric shift motor.----First post a picture of the control box you have.-----It does have the 3 buttons for shifting ?----And it has a big round BLACK plug where it plugs into the motor harness ?

Here is a picture of the switch I have. I also have an older switch that was given to me which looks the same but older. I will post a photo of the control box when I get home. I do not have a harness I don’t believe. I will post pics of everything I have in a bit.

Attachments

• photo308464.jpg
    photo308464.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Here is another part that came with it. Just trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. I know I am missing a few parts in the box but mainly concerned about getting it wired correctly .

Attachments

• photo308472.jpg
    photo308472.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That ladt item is the blocking diode and is part of shift circuit.-----Wiring diagram can be found on line at ----mastertechmarine.--( max rules outboards )---That were I find them.

Last edited:
Is that diode on the motor or in the control box? I’ve read it could be in several different places. I found the diagram , thank you .

I’m out working on this today. I have a few questions that I need some help with. The wiring diagram I have I don’t see a white wire and the directions that came with the switch call for the white wire to be on the switch on the 1 terminal . The only wire that was connected was the white wire when I got the motor and it was on the ignition. Do I need to use a jumper from the ignition to the switch for the white ?

Attachments

• photo308533.jpg
    photo308533.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo308534.jpg
    photo308534.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo308535.jpg
    photo308535.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo308536.jpg
    photo308536.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 1

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The diagram is correct. A white wire is connected to the ign switch STart terminal, and goes to the shift switch for start-in-neutral protection. From there it goes to the starter solenoid on the motor.

The white wire may appear black or grey on your phone or computer if the display is small. But it is supposed to appear as parallel black lines with white space between.

Thank you for your help that explains so much . I got it wired up and the engine fired right up and runs good. Here is my next issue. When I went to turn the engine off it would not turn off with the key. Could that be the starter or the blocking diode in the control box? I read last night that the diode could cause that issue. Forward works great and neutral works and no reverse. I’m going to do some testing today that I read in another form on here to see what the issue is there and report back. Thank you all for your help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A bad blocking diode will cause exactly that---won't shut off. So will a diode that is installed backwards.

I figured it was bad when I was putting it back in. The wires was all corroded so I am going to order one today and get it in next week. In the meantime I am going to tackle this other issue bit by bit. Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 72 model also shows a different diode assembly on the motor itself.-----Still the seller is unsure what the 279176 diode fits.------Order it for yours if yours is bad.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
279176 is the correct number for the blocking diode. The "monkey nutz" diode on the motor serves a different purpose.