I’m ready to start the seahorse!

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
its been awhile since I’ve posted but I do believe the seahorse is ready for a try at running for the first time in about 4 years. If anyone has input for me on trying to get it started I’d appreciate it. I’m not even sure how much water to put in this trash can! Or carb settings so please help

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
depending on how was stored it may very well run pretty good but invest in an impeller first just in case (cheap insurance)

but first answer the question…. what sea horse ??

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
It’s a 63’ 40hp super seahorse. It started almost right away but wasn’t in neutral and launched all the water from the trash can so I refilled went for another go but still hadn’t found neutral and the same thing happened. I believe I have it in neutral now... prop is free spooling but the damn key broke so I need to get a blank or another ignition. Another issue was it didn’t seem to be idling... it was seriously moving. Anyone have some info on why it’s running all out? P.s. I’ve replaced the impeller, cleaned the fuel pump/ few new parts, put a carb kit on, replaced a few fuel lines. I’ll try to get a video up tomorrow if I figure out how to make this broken key work because I don’t have another ignition

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Best to disconnect the remote cables at the motor for test running and tuning. Use the lever on the shift side to manually put it in gear (straight up is neutral). On outboards, the lever is snapped into gear with the motor running, rather than eased into gear. You can shift gears with the motor off, but may have to manually turn the prop a bit to get the gears to mesh. Shifting has to be done with the throttle in the idle or fast idle range.

Throttle adjustment is done with the lever on the pan, at the base of where the tiller would be. Full throttle advance is possible only with the motor in gear.

Locate the manual choke lever and use that initially. There is an automatic choke system (can try it with the lever in the auto setting) -- requires a working thermostat to operate properly.

Water in the barrel should be about half way up the leg. A larger plastic trash can works well -- good idea to keep the hose running. When running in the test "barrel", operate only in the idle or fast idle range and check motor temp. You should be able to keep the heel of your hand on the top of the head for a few seconds when warmed up. If too hot to touch, it's too hot to run -- need to diagnose problem.

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the reply. How could I tell if the thermostat is working?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just a few screws.----Remove the thermostat.----Put in boiling water to see if it opens.----Run cold water on it and see if it closes.

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
If I start with the choke off and in neutral and it’s still running wide open is there a way to blip the throttle to try and bring it to idle...or can you give me some trouble shoot options. I haven’t tried to start it yet today with it in neutral but if this is what happens I’d like to be able to try some quick tuning before having to **** it off. Since I put a carb kit in it and don’t know much about carberators I wonder if that could cause it to stay wide open??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?---Top of the cylinder head.----3 screws and remove the wee cover.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Since you appear to want to work on this engine yourself, be advised a service manual (not an operator's manual) will save you time, money, and frustration when doing repairs. But best of all it will provide answers to 99% of the questions you have about the engine and give you a better understanding of it.

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
Please go to the link and watch. This is my most recent/ successful run. All tips would be appreciated

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
Please watch the video the link takes you to. My most recent/successful run all tips would be appreciated

lindy46

Captain
Looks like it's not pumping water - water should be blowing out the hole on the back of the leg. Maybe not deep enough in the bucket.

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
The hole on the back is where the exhaust comes out unless you mean the 2 small holes below that or does water push past the rubber exhaust hose that goes to that hole?