1958 sea king 35hp been sitting looks new

Jshankles

Cadet
I just acquired a 1958 sea king 35hp been sitting for several years was fully restored before sat the starter does not seem to have the power to turn the outboard unless I take the plugs out it turns slowly feels like it's got good compression when you turn it by hand any info on where to start would be greatly appreciated

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Clean all the electrical connections to shiny clean. Pay close attention to the grounds.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Those had marginal starters to begin with, combined with lots of compression. Battery and all cables and connections must be A-1 and it should work. Don't forget, the wing nut that holds the cable to the side of the motor is a ground connection.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
In Virginia, by any chance? I had a restored '58 Sea King on a '54 outboard cruiser (Trojan Sea Breeze) -- think I sold it in the late '90s or thereabouts.

Jshankles

Cadet
No I acquired this one in South Florida and thank you for the replies I re wired the starter and cleaned the points and it fired right up any info on where I can acquire a water impeller and lower unit seal kit

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Water pump impeller = 18-3006

Seal Kit = 18-2686

Get 'em right here at iboats

F_R

Supreme Mariner
FYI, most but not all parts are same as a 1957 Evinrude or Johnson 35hp

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
They also made an identical 25-horse motor with the Johnson / Evinrude 35.7 c.i. power-head from '56 - '63. The Gale-based 35s of 1958-60 (like yours) used the Johnson / Evinrude 40.5 c.i. power-head of the '57 - '59 (& upgraded '65 - '70 33s).
Yours should be a model # GG-8997A for a 35, while a 25 would be GG-8992A.

Nice looking motor you've got there. Simple & rugged.

Jshankles

Cadet
How would I go about finding the parts here on iboats I have search for them but can't find them

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Click on the Classic Website in the orange banner at the top of this page and follow the prompts... You will need to look under johnson evinrude.... What parts do you need?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Your Sea King was born 10 years too soon for iBoats parts listings/diagrams, although with part numbers, you can search here for many OEM and aftermarket parts (e.g., impellers). Check the Marine Engine site for diagrams (Evinrude 25035 or Johnson RDE-19 — both 1958 35 electrics). The equivalent ‘57s are 25930 and RJE-19. Compare the ’57 with the ’58 on particular parts and systems for differences — starter button for the ’57, for example, key switch for the ’58. The simplex remote box for yours has a “bosun” badge rather than Johnson or Evinrude — can probably find one now and then on Ebay, or post a free classified ad on the AOMCI website. (When you get up to that :).)

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
You are right there are no parts diagrams that far back... But if you try what I suggested you can find impellers , ignition , seal kits and gaskets ect back into the 50s...

Jshankles

Cadet
I have ordered a water impeller lower unit seal kit carb rebuild kit fuel pump kit points and condenser and coils to do a pretty full tune up will pick up the plugs at Napa I will post the part numbers for all parts ordered if anyone can confirm they are correct that would be great

Jshankles

Cadet
Thanks for all the good info got new parts installed and took it for a ride today How would I go about making this engine charge a battery it does not have the wiring harness all I want it to do is have a key start and charge the battery