1955 Evinrude fleetwin

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Picked up a 55 Evinrude fleetwin 7518 yesterday for $30. It's been sitting a long time but is complete and in pretty good shape. The PO said it's been sitting at least 15 years in a climate controlled basement. It belonged to his father who broke the pill cord and never touched it again . I'm probably going to convert the pressure fuel system to a pump. Is there a particular one I should be using for the conversion? Also I need the carburetor kit for it. I looked online and the ones I found said they fit a 56 up to maybe late 60s 7.5 . Anyone know the part number for the compete kit on a 55? Also the float? Have my impeller on the way and working on replacing all the ignition at the moment.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
'56 kit will work fine in the 1955.

Did you not get th e pressure tank with the motor? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the pressure system. Plus, having a different tank for this motor means you won't inadvertently hook up a 50:1 tank to it and ruin the motor.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
+1 on running with the pressure tank. Get it tuned and running well, then decide what fuel system you prefer to use. Chinewalker makes a good point -- motor takes a 16:1 mix, and having a dedicated tank is a good idea.

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a pressure tank but no ends for the fuel lines and don't feel like spending that much for the ends. I've got a mill crate full of all the subflo line ends. I've got a 3 gal and 6 gallon fuel tank I used for my other outboard until I parted it out. All my other outboards are homelite 55 so I don't need to worry about confusing them

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
can try the aomci site to see if a better deal can be had, maybe with a tank. (Guess it would be worse to use the Homelite fuel by mistake!)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Was thinking of the four cycle fuel. Bearcat 55s, right? Crosley engines, I think.

IMO, the problem with switching fuel systems before getting the motor in running shape invites troubleshooting difficulties. I like the pressure systems, but that aside I think it's easier to convert after you know all the other bugs have been taken care of. No other skin in the game -- Mikuni pumps are popular for conversions.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
mikuni square ones are odd balls and need to be tye wrapped ... the round ones by Briggs& stratton are easy to mount as per pictures and the best method is pump on the cover plate .

B&S 808656 are marked.... MIKUNI in the back ....go figure :noidea:

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What's the typical operating rpm for these. Also what do you guys use for a tachometer for testing them. I'm going to be running it on a 14' sea King semi v. I'm not sure what the boat weighs but I'm 340 without my fishing stuff so I may try to find a 5hp prop for it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Those motors max out around 4500 revs. A 5.5 prop likely won't be enough for it. They're smaller diameter, as well as less pitch.

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found online that the 7.5 prop in 55 was 8x8" pin drive and the 5.5 has an 8x7.25 pin drive. If I can find one cheap I may try it and see if it works. I'm worried I'm going to have too much weight for that 7.5

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the motor running great but I'm not sure if my float isn't opening or my fuel pump isn't hooked up right. I prime the fuel system and it will run till the bowl is empty. I forgot how much 16:1 smokes.