1995 Force 120hp won't start...ran fine yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

suburban

Cadet
Hey first post here. Originally posted in the Merc forum and got chased over here..
1995 Force (by mercury marine) won't start...no spark, kill switch disconnected...
Suspect stator or ? I am original owner, boat ran fine yesterday...how to troubleshoot stator or trigger?? Still at lake on vacation...boat still in water...all connections are like new...
Never had any trouble since new...any help appreciated..

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: 1995 Force 120hp won't start...ran fine yesterday

Hey suburban,

What do you mean by "kill switch disconnected..."? did you disconnect the wires from the kill switch or just remove the laynard?

I would check that the wire(s) to the kill switch are not grounding out. Or if you have removed the lanyard then replace it and try again.

flyinbryan

Cadet

did it even try to fire over? like a little pop or stumble at all?

if not i would say your not getting any spark.

if i were stuck on the ramp, i would pull up, pull all the plugs, then plug one of them onto one of the plug wires and turn the motor over and see if you can see spark. checking every plug wire one at a time.

be aware that if atomized fuel blows out of the plug hole and come in contact with the sparking plug it could ignite, so keep the plugs clear of the plug holes during testing.

check each plug wire, one at a time only.

then if you see good spark on all wires you can move on to the fuel system, but if it wont even fire the slightest bit im betting you have a spark issue.

i am a novice but this is where i would begin.

flyinbryan

Cadet

never mind my post. braindead and didnt see where you clearly said "no spark"

i would suspect the kill switch too.

its a "stop loop" circuit, if im not mistaken. to test it by bypassing it, i believe the 2 wires should be clipped together to complete the circuit. opening them would shut off the ignition power.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

its a "stop loop" circuit, if im not mistaken. to test it by bypassing it, i believe the 2 wires should be clipped together to complete the circuit. opening them would shut off the ignition power.

Actually I believe it's the opposite; the kill switch joins the wires and grounds out the ignition system. At least that is how it works on Johnny/rudes.

flyinbryan

Cadet

Actually I believe it's the opposite; the kill switch joins the wires and grounds out the ignition system. At least that is how it works on Johnny/rudes.

you know what, i do believe your right. :)

edit: yep, you are definitly correct (my lanyard switch wire is blk/yllw, and does go to ground from the other side of the switch.

good catch!!!

92rslt1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The yellow and black wires coming from the motor are for the switch. Try it each way on the motor and see if it starts.

suburban

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies...
Kill switch is a n/o switch that grounds to stop engine according to the
Bayliner schematic...
I have no spark at all, no fireing, when I cross top of plug to plug wire with
Screwdriver no spark...heck I even held onto the shaft of the screwdriver to make sure...
I suspect trigger or stator...just need test procedures...anyone got a link for a
.Pdf manual for free? I am still at lake no internet just blackberry...

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi? i have a similar problem. i took my boat to the water the other day. cruise for about an one hour . i went to the duck to pick up a friend. i turn off the boat and when i tried to start it, it refuse. the kill switch is fine and the engine cranks/turns but doesn't start. i tried to start it with some throttle it just crank/turns but no start. what could it be. please help. thanks. it a 1995 120 force mercury outboard engine

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi? i worked on the boat today. i check the compression on the boat with the hand or finger technique . there was alot of power coming out of the engine. my finger was not a fit to withstand the force. i cleaned up all the terminals and i tried to start the boat but no luck. it crank/ turns but no start. when i check the spark plugs with a spark plug tester, the type of tester that hooks on to the park plug and to the cable from the coil with a bulb in the middle; there was no sign of spark because the bulb did not light up/flicker. i check all four spark plugs and there was no spark. what next should i do? i check the fuses under the steering wheel column and i found one burnt fuse. it was a 5. i replaced it but still it cranks but no start. How should i check if there is power at the coils or power going to or coming to the coils?

all great ideas are welcome. pls help

MikeyB3649

Seaman Apprentice

I'd get an ohmeter and follow the steps pnwboat suggested. I had the exact same issue on my '92 120hp and followed pretty much these same steps from my Clymer's manual and found the problem. My stator shot bad so I bought a new one. Installed it and it fired right up.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

instructions pls on how to remove the stator and install. i dont have a manual for my engine. where can i download a manual for my 1995 120 force engine. thanks

MikeyB3649

Seaman Apprentice

1. Disconnect the negative battery lead from the battery. Disconnect the spark plug leads from the spark plugs to prevent accidetal starting.

2. Remove flywheel nut (I use a pneumatic impact wrench for this).

3. Using a flywheel puller (I used a steering wheel puller I got from Autozone) and screw the puller bolts into the flywheel in equal amounts.

4. Tighten the puller scew until tight against the crankshaft.

CAUTION: Do not strike the puller screw with excessive force in step 5 or crankshaft and/or bearing damage may occur.

5. Strike top of puller screw with a suitable hammer.

6. When flywheel breaks loose from crankshaft taper, lift pullter and flywheel off crankshaft and remove flywheel key. Remove pullter from flywheel.

7. Disconnect yellow stator wires from the terminal block adjacent to the switch box. Disconnect red, blue, red/white, and blue/white stator wires from the switch box.

8. Remove stator mounting fastners and remove stator.

Install is the reverse of removal. Be sure you put the stator back in the same direction/rotation as removed.

Torque on the flywheel nut depends on S/N of engine.

S/N: 0 - 138599 = 90 ft.-lbs.
S/N: 138600 - On = 125ft.-lbs.

If I were you, I'd invest in a Clymer's manual. For $30, you'll save yourself a lot of time and patience. Best investment I've made in this engine so far.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd get an ohmeter and follow the steps pnwboat suggested. I had the exact same issue on my '92 120hp and followed pretty much these same steps from my Clymer's manual and found the problem. My stator shot bad so I bought a new one. Installed it and it fired right up.

hi? how do you check the flywheel RPM?

Hollisterbang

Recruit
Hey I have a 92 70hp force, I started it up put it in gear it ran for about 5 minutes then died I could start it but when I put it in gear it died . Did that about 10 times and now won’t start. Replaced the stator before all this. Still getting fire and compression and gas please help! Cleaned the carb today. Still won’t bust off.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Hollister, your opening a 10 year old post.
Start your own.

Until then: check the gas for water, the flywheel key sheared, raise the rpms,
change the plugs and like the force suggested READ!! the opening posts in
the Force forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.