Wiring Questions

NatePerkins

Cadet
Howdy, new to the forums, this is my first post. A buddy and I are restoring a 197 Starcraft Jetstream. We got the floor in, the motor mounted, the steering installed, now all that is left is electronics. Heres where the questions come in.

I made a rough diagram (inexperienced, my uncle who has been doing electrical for a long time is going to help). Were not doing the speedometer or gas guages or anything, just a switch panel with the stern light, bow light, and bilge pump (fish finder & maybe a stereo later on).

WiringDiagram.png

So, I havent bought it yet, Im assuming the switch plate will have the negative bus bar on it. The main 12v+ will connect to the switch plate, each device will connect to individual switches, power going out, then coming back and connecting to the negative bus bar.

Probably all wrong, but thanks for lookin at it!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring Questions

Don't assume the switch panel has a ground buss. Besides, although convenient, it is not necessary since making your own is as easy as a trip to Radio Shack for a barrier strip. The bilge pump ground wire does not need to go all the way forward. Ground it directly to the battery. Or if you have other accessories that will be installed aft of the helm, add a ground buss at the stern for that stuff. Otherwise your diagram is ok. Remember though, when wiring the NAV lights that when at anchor, ONLY the stern light is on. When drifting or under way, both the bow and stern lights must be on. I would also suggest that you use one of the switches on that panel as the MASTER which will kill everything. You also need a breaker or fuse within six inches of the battery positive post to protect the run of wire (#8 or #10 gauge) that runs from the battery to the panel.

NatePerkins

Cadet

So I made an updated diagram, with a breaker next to the battery. I added a negative bus bar, assuming that the switch panel doesnt have one. The stern and bow lights are on separate switches. The positive main and the negative main goes through the breaker. The positive main goes to the switch panel. The negative main goes to the bus bar. Each separate switch goes to an individual device (light, light, bilge pump). I plan on using 8 gauge wire for the main lines. 14 gauge wire for the lights & bilge. A positive wire goes to each device, then the negative wire goes to the bus bar. For the stern light and bilge pump, back to the battery. Is there actually a ground, or is the negative the ground? Should I add another negative bus bar to the stern of the boat?

Weeeeeee. Thanks for any comments!

Diagram2.png

dwco5051

Commander

I would suggest that you do not wire your navigation lights through two separate switches but put them on a DPDT switch to prevent the possibility of displaying only the bow light and not having the stern light on or vice versa when both are required. Your car doesn't have two different switches for your headlights and taillights for a reason.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If you are using two batteries and a switch, here is a wiring diagram.
There are also diagrams for your ignition switch, three position nav lights, and bilge pump with auto float switch if you need them.

batt switch.JPGswitch.jpgign.jpgBPD.gif

NatePerkins

Cadet

All wired up and looking pretty. Did need a bus bar, bought the wrong one, but it works as of now. I have to go pick up the right one. Connected the negatives from the lights to the bus bar, but the bus bar doesnt have a main negative feed, each spot needs a separate negative wire. So I have to buy one that has a main negative feed instead of making a bunch of little jumper wires for everything. Other than that she went together real nice.