Painting transome with Easypoxy

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to paint a transome. The bottom 6 inches will be below the waterline. It is an outboard boat so the paint will have to support the motor. The boat might sit in the water 3 to 4 days at time at the longest.

I already have Easypoxy for the deck, can I get good service from it on the transome?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Painting transome with Easypoxy

No. 3-4 days in the water and you will most likely see it start to blister. It will usually dry out fine once out of the water as long as it isn't touched. However, I don't know how many cycles of this it would take. Can you use a bottom paint?

Not sure what you mean when you say the paint will "have to support the motor". What does that mean?

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By support the motor I am questioning the hardness of the cured paint. I want to make sure it will cure hard enough to prevent the motor from making an indention or sinking in to the paint to the point that it might cause problems with the surrounding area.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No paint is strong enough for that. What you want is a good solid transom. The inner core must be in tact and the outer fiberglass skins must be in good shape and properly laminated to the core. What is the current condition of the transom?

Marine paint systems are flexible. They must be because the surface they are applied to constantly flex. One part paints tend to be a little softer than the two-part paints, but the difference is not noticeable to us humans. This is a factor for durability of the finish and not relevant to supporting an engine.