Adding trim tab position

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
i have a older version of Bennett trim tabs with the 2 rocker switch control with no indicator. do I have to replace the whole system to be able to tell the position of the tabs. Can it be added in.?

Alumarine

Captain
I added just the the indicator but my trim tabs had the sensor wires already.
If you don't have the sensor wires you will need the complete kit that includes the sensor components for the hydraulic actuators.

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
trim tab location

I have the older version Bennett trim tabs on my boat. I never can remember where they are. I have seen kits to add on to make them show their location but I was wondering if it would be better to replace the whole system with a newer version that does that.any body else done this.?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
call bennett and talk to their customer service. probably the best customer service of any marine company on the globe is bennett marine.

they will let you know what you options are, and what pricing is.

however if you get in the habit of raising them when you slow down, and adjusting when you throttle up, you get a feel for exactly where the tabs are and where your motor trim is without ever looking at a gauge or indicator.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have the older version Bennett trim tabs on my boat. I never can remember where they are.
Indicators where on the short list of mods but I decided to scrap the project given the usefulness of the information.

Tabs don't do much for me beyond leveling the boat underway. Anything more than one thousand-one, one thousand-two, one thousand-three from the neutral (plane) makes the boat very squirrelly.

Side to side leveling varies on wind and tide. Done totally by feel.

If you could scale the output of the sensor to match usage I could see it being helpful, but spending the time and effort to see if the tabs are 1 or 2 bars off plane on a scale of 0-10 seems futile to me

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I built my own,...... A piece of 5/32ths" ssteel tig rod attached to the plate on 1 end, up through a bracket at the top of the transom, 'n a couple nuts threaded onto the top,....

If I glance back, 'n see the nuts, the tabs are up, 'n I can hammer the throttle,.....

Alumarine

Captain
I installed the TPI2000 indicator on mine because I found one cheap.
My actuators had the sensors already so it was an easy install and I didn't need anything else.