1989 bayliner capri bow trolling motor

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,
I am looking for a used cheap trolling motor for my capri, what shaft length do I need? I am looking for 30+ lbs of thrust. I fish small freshwater bodies of water. I have never owned or operated a trolling motor before. I just want something basic and affordable to fish.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Amount of thrust and shaft length all depend on your boat and the conditions you frequent. A lot of factors come into play. Height of your deck from the surface of water (the actual motor should be at least 12" below the surface), fiberglass or aluminum boat, salt vs fresh water, calm or rough seas, etc...
Check out the various manufacturer's websites for buyer's guides.
For example, if you go to Motorguide's website and choose motors, then motor selector. Check all the appropriate parameters and you will see what's best for your boat.
Also, you will have better control with a bow mounted motor than a transom mounted. Bow mount pulls the boat. Transom pushes the boat and the bow will tend to wander all over the place.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes from those manufacturers sites and what I researched I will get a bow mounted one, I am even willing to modify one that mounts elsewhere if its cheap. I still cant figure out the length I need though I have a 89 capri I believe its 20' long fiberglass.

Bondo

Staff member
Yes from those manufacturers sites and what I researched I will get a bow mounted one, I am even willing to modify one that mounts elsewhere if its cheap. I still cant figure out the length I need though I have a 89 capri I believe its 20' long fiberglass.

Ayuh,..... With a ruler, measure from where ya wanta mount the motor, down to the water line,......

You need a shaft longer than that measurement,.....

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Yep...what Bondo said...measure from the place you wish to mount the motor down to the surface of the water. Go to either Motorguide or Min Kota website . Plug that number into their calculator and you will be given the proper shaft length. I believe they all are adjustable between a certain range of lengths. So you will have some play or leeway. It's not a set length. As I said previously, you want the motor part at least 12" below the water surface so you won't get cavitation which might scare the fish.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Just measure from the deck to the water and add a minimum of one foot. Doesn't matter which motor you choose. And just so you know, you will probably not be happy with a 30# thrust motor. It simply will not have the grunt to move you with any authority in even the slightest breeze. A small motor running at full speed will eat up battery power quicker than a bigger motor that doesn't have to run wide open.