Audio

waterboy84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Quick question. I bought a boat and the radio that was in the boat did not work.
Hell the radio was so old it was the radio that had a tape deck on it.
Anyhow i went and bought a new radio with cd player.
No i didnt get a marine radio becuz where the radio was installed there is no possible way for it to get wet. It sits behind a water proof sealed cover box and that sits behind a glove box compartment.
Anyhow. Question is.
If i run a direct power wire from the battery
And if im not using my boat is the radio still pulling charge from the battery even though the radio is off.
Reason i ran a direct wire from battery to radio is becuz the factory wires that are there already for some reason i can not get any power from the factory wires. I tried everything ffrom new fuses in fuse box to running a new wire from the fuse box. And yes i had they key ignition turned to on position when trying to turn on radio and nothing. But a direct wire from battery radio turns on.
To leave the radio set up with the direct with from battery. Should i inatall a toggle switch or by turning off the radio is ok.
Sense i installed the radio by running the direct wire from battery i have had to have my battery charged twice.
I never had this problem. I could leave my boat sitting for weeks at a time and battery would not be dead.
Im thinking with having the radio hooked up directly to battery the radio is continuously pulling juice from battery.
Im thinking a toggle switch to cut off all power may fix the issue of battery being drain. Just would like to get some input on this before doing anything else.
Thanks. All info is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
waterboy84. I have a few questions on this one. First, if the "New" radio you purchased has memory for the clock and stations, then yes it will pull some current form the battery even when it is turn off. That is how it maintains those functions. However, it is a very minuscule amount of current but will run the battery down after a few weeks. Secondly, you stated that you have no power from the radio fuse boa you presently have. Did you check to see if power was coming into that fuse box? I would search for that problem and certainly fix it. WHY? because if that lead coming from the battery is broken and laying free, who knows what it could short against and cause a fire. So trace that fuse box out and fix it. Then you can use that fused circuit for the radio for even more protection to the new radio. If you never used a meter (DVM Digital Volt Meter) before, now is a great time to start and learn how. It really isn't that hard to understand the concept. JMHO!

waterboy84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes i have checked fuse box out very closely. All other componets that work off the fusebox all work. From horn, to light, and all other electrical components work off fuse box.
However the wire that was there from fuse box to radio is completely disconnect.
I dont like this direct wire from battery to radio at all. I am determined to figure out why i cant get power from fuse box to radio.
Personally im thinking the fuse slot in the fuse box itself is shot.
If thats the case then im guessing a fuse box replacment will be needed.
I have tried everything. Only thing thats left is the slot you put the fuse in fuse box is shot and no power is coming out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes i have checked fuse box out very closely. All other componets that work off the fusebox all work. From horn, to light, and all other electrical components work off fuse box.
However the wire that was there from fuse box to radio is completely disconnect.
I dont like this direct wire from battery to radio at all. I am determined to figure out why i cant get power from fuse box to radio.
Personally im thinking the fuse slot in the fuse box itself is shot.
If thats the case then im guessing a fuse box replacment will be needed.
I have tried everything. Only thing thats left is the slot you put the fuse in fuse box is shot and no power is coming out.

Have you taken a meter to check to see if the one side of the fused end in the fuse box has voltage? If all the others are working then you either have a burned out connection from the other fuses to that one. I would certainly open up that fuse box and verify the connection inside. If you do have a corroded or burnt open connection to the old radio fuse section, yes I would replace it with new and wire it properly. I've said this many times before, but it is always good to state it again. When doing work on a boat, make absolutely certain that all wiring is protected because when you are out on the water, if a fire does break out, there is no where to run to get away from it. Keep us posted to what you find. :thumb:

waterboy84

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes. Im always neverous when im out on my boat. I have a wife and 4 kids.
Anyhow im deffenently going to look more at the fuse box itself cuz im pretty sure thats where the issue is.
Everything else works properly off the fuse box.
So if there isnt any power coming out of the fuse box for the radio is it still necessary to replace the whole fuse box even if everything else works perfectly.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes. Im always neverous when im out on my boat. I have a wife and 4 kids.
Anyhow im deffenently going to look more at the fuse box itself cuz im pretty sure thats where the issue is.
Everything else works properly off the fuse box.
So if there isnt any power coming out of the fuse box for the radio is it still necessary to replace the whole fuse box even if everything else works perfectly.

Yes and No. If the fuse box has corrosion that caused the radio fuse circuit to open up, then I personally would change the fuse box because if corrosion caused one fuse circuit to open, then there is a possibility that the others could as well. But that is just me. However, if you find that the connection was cut or otherwise disconnected, then no, I would fix the open and continue on. It really depends on what you find and how bad the insides look. Fuse boxes are really not expensive. In fact if you have to replace, thing about circuit breakers and then you don't have to carry spare fuses. Again, that is just my opinion. They each have pluses and minuses.