Repair and/or restore 18' Starcraft Supersport V5

WendellNLA

Cadet
Well, after many years of wanting to buy or build a boat, I finally acquired an 1980, 18' Starcraft Supersport V5. This is my first boat (not counting my 12' Gen IV Portabote, which some may argue is not a real boat!) and it is in need of some substantial work. So, after searching around the net in search of info about repairs needed, I found this forum and the wealth of information available here. A word of thanks to all those who have shared their experiences on their own projects.

So now the decision must be made..... repair to make it functional and run it, or restore it to like new condition.

After gutting the interior, checking for loose and leaking rivets and repairing as needed, the minimum at this point is to replace the floor, as it is pretty rotten. During a quickie replacement of the floor by the previous owner (my brother) the original seating was taken out and replaced with 2 swivel seats that are a bit too big, so the seating and/or storage needs to be reworked. There is a relatively minor dent on one side that i would like to remove. I also plan on relocating the battery forward and rewiring the electrical.

The outboard is a Mariner 115 that had some fuel issues prior to being parked about 5 years ago. It rotates freely by hand from the flywheel, so not seized. I plan on checking compression, rebuilding the carbs and fuel pump, replacing all fuel lines, thoroughly inspecting the fuel tank for any issues, as well as replacing water pump impeller and servicing the lower unit. If the powerhead needs more extensive work, it will be decision time.

I intend on using this boat for inshore saltwater fishing in the Channel Islands area of So Cal. So I will be restoring/repairing with that in mind.

Any thoughts or comments on my plans, feel free to share them. Especially if you have any experience with an 18' SS V5 and it suitability for inshore saltwater use and any ideas on how to make it as suitable for that task as possible.

I will post pics as I am able, this being my first post, I can not as of now. Thanks,

W

dozerII

Admiral
:welcome:to the Starmada your plan sounds solid, but only you can make the decision on whether to fix and go or a complete rebuild. Make sure to check the transom real good for signs of soft wood, and the splashwell for any signs of cracking caused by a weak transom. If your boat is truly a V5 model it is designed to handle some big water, the big thing about running an aluminum boat in the salt is corrosion, you must rinse the entire boat after every dip in the brine. If it is going to be moored even for a short period you will have to make sure you the proper anodes installed to prevent corrosion. Look forward to seeing your photos, best way to post them is to open a free Photobucket account, upload your pictures then copy and paste the IMG code into your thread.

WendellNLA

Cadet
Knowing how I think, will likely be restoration. :) I know that once I get the outboard off and get it gutted and turned turtle to take care of loose rivets, it will be way too tempting to prep and paint the hull while it is staring me in the face. I should just resign myself to that fate!

As far as being a V5, how do I tell besides the emblem? It has 5 chines(?) and a decent amount of dead rise at the transom. Brother said it handled Lake Ontario chop pretty well. I did look around online and not finding much info on an 18' SS V5. I called Starcraft to see if they can give me any info on this boat and ask if they will sell me a new data plate, or at least provide the info so I can get a duplicate made Customer service guy was busy, so I left my number and am awaiting a call back.

The corrosion issue has crossed my mind quit a bit. I don't plan on mooring for any length of time. The only possible exception might be crossing the channel to Catalina and spending the night if the seas pick up.... which they seem to do in the after noon. But that is a bit down the road, after gaining some confidence in the vessel. Fresh water wash makes a lot of sense to me and is easy enough, but I am concerned with rinsing the bilge area. I was considering pour in foam for sound deadening and added structural rigidity, but my concern is that whatever salt water gets in the bilge area, cant be rinsed out very well. I am still looking at a solution to that issue.

I will post a few pics soon.

dozerII

Admiral
We should be able to tell you what she is when you post the pictures, being a 1980 it will have pour in foam from the factory. here is what the V5 hull looks like.

Last edited:

WendellNLA

Cadet

Looks similar to mine. Not sure, but mine looks to have less freeboard.... or not. May be camera angle.

dozerII

Admiral
Sure is a V5, they would be sisters. What are the last 4 numbers in your Hull Id number? I was under the understanding the V5's were only built in 77,78,79, maybe not though. I like the plastic logo I have never seen one with V5 in it.

WendellNLA

Cadet
I will verify the VIN number and year of manufacturer, but it could very well be a 79 registered 1980.

Is that your V5?

WendellNLA

Cadet
Last 4 of the HIN = 1178, followed by F-9. The registration also says 1979. Not sure why I thought it was a 1980. Must have been the trailer. Sorry for the confusion!

In any event, I hope to tear into it by the end of next week. I have 2 other small projects I need to complete first.

dozerII

Admiral
The 78 makes her manufactured in 78. If your interior is still all together would you post a couple picture of it. When I brought my 79 home the interior was in a big rotten pile in the bottom of the boat.

WendellNLA

Cadet
Im not sure mine will help much , as my brother got it in nearly the same condition and changed the layout, getting rid of the factory seating and installing 2 pedestal seats. His plan was to make it purely functional for fishing and it served him well in that capacity. I will get some pics posted as soon as I get all the parts out of it that dont belong in it. I towed it from NY and had some car parts to bring with me and I havent had time to to get it all sorted out.

W

WendellNLA

Cadet
Well, it has been a while since I started this thread, but life has kept me busy. Now, I would like to get this V5 ready by October of this year.
I have relocated to the Las Vegas area, so the boats mission has changed. Salt water is no longer an issue as the primary use will be in lake Mead and the Colorado River. I will provide some pics as work progresses.