Glen-L WB Power Skiff Build

zool

Captain
Yea guys, gonna jazz it up a bit...to keep it from just looking like a plywood row boat. Plus I want to add some weight to the bow, in the back will be me, 50+ lbs of gas, a battery and the outboard, up front will just be the anchor, gear, and the admiral....who is only 5' nuthin.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
JB got your pm just like last time so I shot a response to you and wood. never had any luck from prior pm attempts.
Thanks for getting involved.
Kevin

zool

Captain
Sorry guys, its gonna be 1/4 x 1 1/2 red oak trim boards from HD ;)

Before I glued and screwed the deck cover pieces on, I primed and painted the storage area..then capped it all off...still have to plane and sand the edges and epoxy it.

y4mwt5VfDb03IVsQfugR8nQxVephTV6MUTkJNZumUFpSSUFTKOHfQyCywTu-NnAnOh1_owqpP7dkfWd2nKi97KRtOP1y66L2IcULjP3HUIUHky-dXGXhTs95umjnF9zJjNldVJswfQL63-bm_u51e0nqk8n8mW7jPjyES2NgOYNzt4wezPXfTznHBelzK8hAvoopahdeXqm5C9ANP9GaZY6TA

You can see where I slipped with the power planer..oops lol..no prob, it will be glued over :D

y4mpH5FHr6vHciuiiZJiBX8qSzUzlrRck-B2J0w1QHgk8cz64uaBB8gwaLyx0kEXm1zXjVdOtq562Jj-nfGZaDe4dO3Him7Avi-CRvalReTndR6O5k4CMkqjUpWVh8N4xqGVeRqM0XXPhak69y1NVK6dBXzY0zUyOHJd61dw4Nw0OQ7fyeEp13hnx1KxT2gAMkI9_9MBScQm4zPklQi64ViPA

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure how much you need but HD and Lowe's are about the most expensive places I know of to buy hardwoods.. at least in my area..

not sure where you live but I would try to find a local hardwood dealer or even a better, a mom and pop sawmill.. you can even use this site to find sawyers near you that use woodmizers...
https://woodmizer.com/us/Services/Find-a-Local-Sawyer

my local guy charges about 2-2.50 per board foot for red oak depending on grade and availability... you'll probably pay around 5or 6 per board ft at a home center

zool

Captain
Not sure how much you need but HD and Lowe's are about the most expensive places I know of to buy hardwoods.. at least in my area..

not sure where you live but I would try to find a local hardwood dealer or even a better, a mom and pop sawmill.. you can even use this site to find sawyers near you that use woodmizers...

my local guy charges about 2-2.50 per board foot for red oak depending on grade and availability... you'll probably pay around 5or 6 per board ft at a home center

The 1/4 x 2" nominal s4s is like 79 cents a foot at HD...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
How long of pieces do you need. Heck I got OAK coming out my ears. I could plane some up for ya and mail em to ya. What's your total width and length gunna be?

zool

Captain
How long of pieces do you need. Heck I got OAK coming out my ears. I could plane some up for ya and mail em to ya. What's your total width and length gunna be?

Thanks Mike! thats a nice offer, but at the price im getting it at, ill just pick it up here. Im gonna be using pieces from <1' for the deck to 16' for the outwales....if im lucky on the outwales not needing a little over 16', I wont have to scarf....its close tho.

As for the width of the deck boards, i need to do some math to fisgure which ends up close to all full width stripes. Im shooting for 1 1/2 wide planks on the bow deck, with 1/4" cauked seams.

I have some sample boards i bought to try out different stain colors, or no stain and just the spar over the clear oak.

zool

Captain
I did pick up a sheet Im also deciding if I can get away with side access panels for under the back seats, or flip up hinged tops to better access the terminals and other wiring in there.The fues tank will be under the starboard rear seat, and will need to be removable too...In the end, top hinged may be the best way to go, but water will get in there and run out weep holes at the transom edge.

y4mf8LVsgZ_R4s-dL-InnUR4a_KZ6NiCbTwiAXEKZnokpiZABeFnH_PkrqSGFodTq4xEI3lP2i5_rdHuGN33Xks1rlwsQyNeyPvtWtjLon5Et5S1YQUFaXC-N4ygo6CbSBzJ2YsR9csBRNke7Fkw5ip71kbIVJlz40MeJb3lLfIXRxLHlgEANrEH5xtDVKpLkcubon7Wh81uKM1XvlqW_20hQ

I was in an suv when i boat the sheet, so i had them rip it at 24"

y4m9M_N7hS6zWDD5zFM5BeB3Dn1pX5pbuaWnaTHPzTJP7aLN4aEMVG00LhJgGjP477hH4Gy642zmn9dnuE0KRd2s_dZc5c9dDA557ObNQdbi-oDGIJWTauafTDK3NFyGer_Kt-AytOb3r3Tvx6srUHhS3-Ba2fhCCLjnnepCJRvcR_RVfqhPHy1b3VrTgzqRCGY2Vq9NV4HRJIAh_i3jOjaGA

zool

Captain

Im in Jersey MadProps, Not too many mills here, but there are some across the river in PA, I would definately try to source a small mill on my next build, using white oak.