1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
No way 5 to 1. Whats the point of that? Thats a fast setting epoxy. Typo. This 4 to 1. You are in a controlled space with temps.
4 to 1 FAST Epoxy Hardener
Our fast epoxy hardener is great for cold weather conditions or for those who prefer fast curing times at normal temperatures. It is good for fiberglass and composite layup as well as a fast cure bonding applications. The faster cure of this particular hardener will also result in a more rigid laminate.

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
No way 5 to 1. Whats the point of that? Thats a fast setting epoxy.

Depends on the brand. West System 105 with slow hardener is 5:1. The intermediate hardener I normally use with E.A.S.T. System is too.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's a tip I learned from a PRO using epoxy. He always uses the Medium mix and he always has a pot of hot water in the shop. He pours his resin in a plastic cup then sets it in the pot of hot water to warm it up and make it more viscous. After a few minutes he takes it out wipes the outside dry and then adds the hardener. He claims it kind of fools the resin into thinking the temps are a bit warmer than they actually are. Kinda like us Poly guys do with ICE when it gets hot . You might give it a try. NOTE: I AM NOT an Epoxy GURU so you should take all of this with the Proverbial "Grain of Salt":eek:

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
He always uses the Medium mix and he always has a pot of hot water in the shop. He pours his resin in a plastic cup then sets it in the pot of hot water to warm it up and make it more viscous. After a few minutes he takes it out wipes the outside dry and then adds the hardener. He claims it kind of fools the resin into thinking the temps are a bit warmer than they actually are.

That makes sense to me.

Another trick I've heard is to warm the surface it's going on to lower the viscosity for easier wet out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Come to think of it, He did use InfraRed Heat Lamps on the substrate as well. Thanks for reminding me!!! He Taped and Draped the Fabric over the area to allow the heat to relax the cloth and make it more pliable. He would also apply a coat of resin to the substrate first and then lay the fabric and then use a bubble buster to force the resin up thru the fabric from the back side before applying more resin on the topside to get the final wet out. He said it ensured the best bond. Again just passing on HIS techniques, NOT personal experience.;)

Last edited:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Wow lots of good info here thanks guy's I appreciate all your thoughts on this . Just trying to make a well informed decision.

I truly believe ve and also poly would be sufficient but with the investment this one is going to be I figure i'll be keeping it for a long while plus I also figure with the 4 strokes weighing more I might as well over build now

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow Minch this is quite a project ! From the first pics under the deck it looked to be in pretty good shape .. I guess looks can be deceiving .. I would love to have the lift in the garage . That would come in most handy ..Makes me want to get a bigger boat .... Well maybe ... :rolleyes:
Tagging along for the ride ! :joyous:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome aboard being a state owned boat in the back of my mind I new it would be rotten to some extent. I figured if they didn't own it why care. So I kinda had a plan and lucky for me so far it worked out.
Yes the lift has made it alot easier
On another note what you have done for Lisa and Kelly is truly a wonderful thing and I take my hat off to you .

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
pics of all the under plumbing Electric power PC110002_zps6c52bbca.jpg PC110003_zpsec959ac7.jpg PC120005_zps41f56f10.jpg fuel primer made emptying the tank easier Tank is out

Last edited:

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That is quick work. I like how forward the tank seems to be. I think that's going to help the center of gravity if you choose a 4 stroke.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guys Tank is 96 gal I plan on replacing it. I plan on making it 3" narrower so that I could remove it in case of a issue PB280001_zpsaf97dd11.jpg

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
What did they have the tank sitting on ? Looks like strips of rubber hose ....

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Yes sphelps rubber or neoprene hose bottom both sides and 1 end. Then it was lagged into stringers thru 2x4 pressure treated. PC120005_zps41f56f10.jpg There was also water under tank and no way for it to get out Will have to work on that

Last edited:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
I rechecked the hose looking things under the tank and it harder then rubber or neoprene more plastic like but not extremely hard but also not real soft either. Not sure if it just got hard over the years.
No boat work today was busy fixing cars (pays for the boat work) but I did figure out amount of foam in boat and there is only 16 cubic feet little disappointing

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I snooped a little and see that you extended the transom supports on your jig. It's pretty spiffy being able to roll that thing outside.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Ok finally a little progress PC120015_zps0591158c.jpg PC200001_zps630e3825.jpg PC200002_zps2a2b709f.jpgAnd I am trying something new cleaning up as I go

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Holy Crap Minch.......Im glad I dont have to do all that glassing!!! How much do you think all those boxes will take? Great work as usual!!!!