1992 Stratos 2250 here we go again

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Yes I see the point about the green was going to hold off till next year but why do today what I can put off till tomorrow or whatever they say.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
OOOhhhhh ...He's got the feva, ooohhhh he's got the feva for dat girl! You go Minch! :joyous:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
boat life 1170 This is what I plan to use on the seams on my deck. does anyone have any experience with it?

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
last area I plan on painting 2nd coat This use to be wasted space I bought a hatch that I will cut into the tank cover to access this new found real estate. I used gel coat in here because I had it and its cheaper then the paint hydrualic helm and new switch board attached

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Ok was getting ready for bottom paint and found this. Now I am hoping its not new hoping old bottom paint was covering it up. It is on the strake which I filled solid with epoxy pb. so My plan is to grind down a bit put in a couple layers of 6 or 8 oz can't remember what I have left I will be using epoxy. Does this sound ok? It goes about 2" on both sides of strake

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thinking your plan would be fine ... I would think just make sure ya grind past the crack a good bit to keep it from going any further ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Bummer! But glad you found it now. Gonna add some of that tiger hair/cabosil mix first? Then glass? Dremmel will open her up nice for you.
Just wondering.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Yes I plan on going up a bit past the actual crack sphelps No I kfc I don't think its needed as I filled the strake solid with epoxy pb. Am I calling that the right term strake

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
well i did some grinding and found that most of the strake is hollow at the point. the perpendicular crack only went a couple inches so I ground down to solid area. My thought is that that since I filled the strake solid and multiple layers of glass on inside of hull I don't want to keep grinding the complete strake.I figure I will fix what I uncovered and thats it. Am I totally wrong and should I keep looking for trouble? Also seemed A little resin rich

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would fill the voids with some hairy PB, throw a few layers of cloth over it and call it good. but that's just my opinion!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the replies guys I hope your Easters were good.
nm when you say fill the voids would you continue to grind the tip of the strake it seems it may go all the way bow to stern but know other cracks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd recommend drilling a 3/8" hole at both ends of the crack to ensure it STOPS!!! then fill with hairy PB and then couple layers of glass. DONE!!! Dumb Okie's Method!!!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
wood I am assuming your talking about drilling at each end of the perpendicular crack. I also found a void on the tip of the strake. it is hollow probably 3/16
' gap. I ground about 2 foot of it front to rear. been there since 1992 you think I should keep grinding?

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't think I would keep grinding, but that's me. I like Woody's method of drilling the ends of the perpendicular crack to make sure it stops growing.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I don't like "Hollow Spots" in the hull. I'd be more comfortable to find them now and fill em with PB. That's just me. They've been there all this time without consequence but MFG's do a lot of things "On the Cheap" that I don't approve of. Use your best judgement and follow your "Gut" You're the one that has to LIVE with the decision.;)