Got MBS, Got a Ken Craft Ski Barge

REdington

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My grandson (he is 16) wanted to go fishing and we have a small lake (25 acres) about 20 min away. With the Sylvan in pieces, I went looking for a cheap boat and I found this for $200. It has a '57 18 hp Johnson on it and the trailer look good. The boat is in very sad shape but it floats. I have a old (like mid '50's) 12 foot alum V that I'll use the trailer and motor on. Well it rained all weekend so we didn't get to go fishing.

From what I've found out so far, it's about a 1963 ski barge 16.

464px-Mercbhb63F-11.jpg

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Kenner

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Mercbhb63F-11.jpg

It is unbelievable what some people do to do a quick fix on transoms.

I've told my grandson that if he helps with the rebuilding of the boat, It'll be his. I know where a mid '60's 60hp Johnson is that we will more that likely use.

Rodney

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It would be kinda kool to restore it back to original . Railings and everything . The console looks a little big though..

Captain Ollie West

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I love the lawn chair in the Merc. test photo.

It brings back memories of when my dad ripped out the old back-to-backs from his 18' Appolo. We didnt have money to replace them so we used lawn chairs for a season. It is dangerous though, there was a couple of times when the chairs fell over or slid around in rough water.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
I ripped the interior out of a 1964 Cadillac convertible I was restoring, and drove around sitting on a milk crate for a week. It was a little scary when you fall off the crate going around a turn. There was so much room inside that you could roll quite a ways from the steering wheel if you didn't hang on.
The boat you're planning on here, is very roomy and should be a great project for you and the family. Great fishing platform too!

REdington

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It would be kinda kool to restore it back to original . Railings and everything . The console looks a little big though..

That is the plan, with a smaller center console made out of alum.

I went to look at the 60 hp that a friend has and it is locked up. He wants $200 for it and I passed. I will try to find a mid 70's 66 to 70 hp Johnson/Evinrude for it now. Made the deal with the grandson that if he get his $hit together (he is in JDC custody for fighting and other stupid crap) and walks a straight line, it will be his when finished. It looks like his mother and father (my son) will be out of the picture and we will get custody of him in the fall. The boat will be used as tool for reaching the goals I have set for him.

Rodney