93 Crownline 196 deck and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well as the story goes with many other guys, I started on my boat with intentions of only doing a deck replacement, but after digging further into it, many more problems have shown themselves so it looks like a 80% restoration.

Just as a little back story, I found the boat almost 3 years ago and made a deal to go get it the following afternoon, but he sold it out from under me the same day. The boat then showed up again within 15 miles of my house about 5 months later and i had to have it. Plus the guy had about $600 worth of receipts of work that had been done after he bought it. Great deal....right. I have ran it for 2 summers with only routine maintenance so no complaints there. The boat also just happened to match my tow vehicle and is the exact size and engine package (350) that I was looking for so I don't really want to part with her either. Enough of that....back to the issue.

Middle of last year I started to notice some soft spots on the starboard and port side, right in front of the back seat, so I told my self that I would start investigating during the off season. Despite several delays, I am two weeks in and have it torn down pretty far. I am currently cutting stringers out, or at least what is left of stringers. I will try to get a few pictures up tonight of my current progress and a few concerns that I already have but am not quite sure how to address.

Input, tips, tricks, advice, or any other words would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0395.jpg
Here she is soon after I bought her.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 93 Crownline 196 deck and more

After a few computer issues last night, I will try to get all of my progress updated.

Picture of the two main spots that I could feel last summer after I had pulled some wood back with a pry bar.

Whoever put the last floor on, decided to stop 2 foot from the rear, so it was beyond shot.

This picture doesn't do justice but you can see the amount of rot that I found after pulling up the deck.

One of the many bad repairs. Existing stringer was cut with new wood set on top and glued with PL. No glass though
And finally here is where I'm at now.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok here's the first question. This pictures below are what i found on the engine mounts/ risers. I cannot tell how deep the rot goes but I am starting to think for safety that I should just cut both out and replace. Thoughts and suggestions please.

azmav

Seaman

Hello atjohnson, I will be following along, I am just ahead of you, done with grinding and ready to put it all back. Good luck. I know many guys suggest drilling core holes along supports and stringers like that with a 1/2 inch bit. Look for dark wood shavings which indicate rot. If the rot is limited to one area that can be replaced then so be it, but as you have seen, this rot goes farther than you originally thought, and almost everyone on this forum experiences the same issues. Also, to do even a small amount of repair without the engine removed will be a challenge. As long as it is out, might as well rebuild em and do it better. You can do core checks of the transom as well that way. Manufacture companies always seem to drill holes through their transoms after sealing them up, and those areas are often a mess, especially on the I/O's.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I'd pull the drive, 'n motor, so you can get at the Transom,....

Yer kiddin' yerself, if ya think it Ain't rotten,....

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was actually preparing to go ahead and pull the motor this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem as long as I can get a few extra hands. From there I plan to thoroughly inspect the transom because there is one area that I already have suspicions of. Is there only a slip joint between the engine and outdrive or some type of collar?

Bondo

Staff member

I was actually preparing to go ahead and pull the motor this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem as long as I can get a few extra hands. From there I plan to thoroughly inspect the transom because there is one area that I already have suspicions of. Is there only a slip joint between the engine and outdrive or some type of collar?

Ayuh,.... The drive is only 6 nuts, maybe 8,... Pull it 1st,....

It's the drive's shaft that slides into the motor's coupler,...

Then the lags outa the front mounts, 'n the 2, 1/2" bolts, aft in the flywheel cover motor mounts,...

After the wirin', 'n plumbin', the motor can be lifted straight up, 'n out,....

You'll have to re-align the motor goin' in, so the drive needs pullin', Anyways,...

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tagging along....

I have a similar boat, in similar shape, undergoing a similar restoration. Excited to see how you make out.

-Brandon

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the 'I've got a rotten boat club'. LOL
I did my Sea Ray 2 years ago. Started out checking a soft spot on the floor, then checking and finding the transom was mush. Ended up ripping out ALL the wood and a complete rebuild. A long & tiring job and glass fiber dust is not funny, but the boat is bullet proof now. On the engine mounts I had exactly the same issue. Mine were double thickness 3/4" plywood - 2 vertical and one across the top, like an inverted C, then covered in glassfiber. Trouble was , the rot had removed all the ply and there was just the outer FG shell left!!! These were rebuilt too.
It's a PITA job, but the results are worthwhile. But it's something I would not do again. Also keep your spends under TIGHT control.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a little time this afternoon so went to the shop and started tagging wires and disconnecting hoses. As I figured, and everyone else had suggested, the transom is rotting from the outside inwards. It has not made it to the gimbal housing, but I am preparing to cut everything out and start over. Good thing I didn't order my glassing supplies yet. Also ran across my clymer and seloc manuals that I forgot I had. They will definitely come in handy tomorrow. So........to sum it all up, it looks like a full day for tomorrow. I will get pictures of progress and update soon as I get time.

Bondo

Staff member

I had a little time this afternoon so went to the shop and started tagging wires and disconnecting hoses. As I figured, and everyone else had suggested, the transom is rotting from the outside inwards. It has not made it to the gimbal housing, but I am preparing to cut everything out and start over. Good thing I didn't order my glassing supplies yet. Also ran across my clymer and seloc manuals that I forgot I had. They will definitely come in handy tomorrow. So........to sum it all up, it looks like a full day for tomorrow. I will get pictures of progress and update soon as I get time.

Ayuh,..... Them'll make pretty good knee pads, with all the sandin' ya gotta do,....

Head on up to the Mercruiser forum,...
In there, at the top, you'll see Don'S Adults Only section,....
Follow the Mercruiser links to the Factory Manuals,....
'course, there's also Tons of other Great learnin' in there,... Enjoy,.... ;)

Last edited:

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I managed to get a little progress made today. Actually had to trade out a couple hours of work with my dad, then a few hours with my father-in-law to get get two extra sets of hands to pull the motor and outdrive. No pictures of the removal because too many things to watch but I used the front end loader on the tractor which made life extremely easy. I got the engine mounted onto the engine stand (extra support under pulley is because of nieces and nephews that like to play in the shop" and made a temporary fixture to hold the outdrive so it don't get banged up while other things are being done. All pictured below.

Quick question while its on my mind. Whats the best way to fix little knicks and dings in my gel coat (see pictures)? Have gotten quite a few of these and want to fix all I can while I'm at it.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I managed to get a little more work done today. I spent a little bit of time cleaning up the mess I left yesterday because there was tools scattered from one end to the other. I did manage to get the last of the stringers cut out, so that was relieving. Now on to grinding. Tuesday afternoon is the only free day that I have so far this week so I plan to spend my time removing the gimbal housing, y-pipe, and get wiring completely out of the way. Someone has really do a poor job wiring things in over the years so I've got several thing to reroute and clean up. I still need to remove the engine mounts. Between the cut off wheel and grinder head, I didn't have enough clearance to make the cuts today, so I'll have to find another solution. I did open them up a little more and they are definitely worse than I though. One of the engine lag bolts was not even holding anything.

I will update Tuesday afternoon and see where I stand on progress then.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'd suggest a gelcoat touchup kit (available here @iboats & other online sources) for the smallish chips in the gelcoat you posted. None appear to even expose any fiberglass weave, so a 'repair' isn't needed. Blend a white or off-white to match the hull, fill and buff to blend.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok guys, I've been trying to prepare for any components that need replaced while I'm into the gimbal housing. I'll start with what has been done. Bellows were done the summer I bought it, so they are roughly 3 years old. Gimbal bearing is a little over a year, so i just plan on checking it for slack. I have already considered replacing the shorter shift cable, but not sure how prone it is to wear. I was also assuming all gaskets and seals that are typically hard to get to. I hope there is a complete seal kit that I don't know about. Anyhow, please let me know any suggestions or input that you have.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok guys, I've been trying to prepare for any components that need replaced while I'm into the gimbal housing. I'll start with what has been done. Bellows were done the summer I bought it, so they are roughly 3 years old. Gimbal bearing is a little over a year, so i just plan on checking it for slack. I have already considered replacing the shorter shift cable, but not sure how prone it is to wear. I was also assuming all gaskets and seals that are typically hard to get to. I hope there is a complete seal kit that I don't know about. Anyhow, please let me know any suggestions or input that you have.

Ayuh,... The lower shift cable usually gets changed With the bellows, as it don't last forever either,...

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm not an I/O guy, but I think you need the alignment tool too every time you replace the bellows, or any time you remove & reinstall the outdrive.

Some guys buy 1 & all 'share' it, trading it back & forth.

Most boat places should be able to order one if they don't have it in stock, & I'd certainly guess iboats sells it.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had actually planned to let a local machine shop make me an alignment tool. These guys are well respected in my area so with the dimensions that i have found here, it should not be a problem. As for the bellows and cables, I am highly considering replacing them while I have it split open.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I actually got some decent time in this afternoon and got all of the things I had intended to do finished as well as a little clean up and prep for the next round. Everything is out, covered up, and ready for grinding and cutting the transom out.

I wish this picture could have been more detailed so i could show my problem areas, but I'll just have to explain. My transom rot is not what I would consider severe. It is primarily concentrated about 4 to 6 inches about the bottom of the hull and of course what I call the outer wings where I had found some wet compartments. The center area where the drive passes was extremely stable with no signs of deterioration.

I still have to cut engine mounts out, but I am not rushing to that because I want to preserve them as much as possible so I can build them relatively close to factory. I plan to order my wood tomorrow. Planning to use the arauco that I have heard many people speak highly of here. At a little less than half the price, it is pretty hard to pass up. Also plan on finalizing my fiberglass supplies order from US Composites and get that on the way either end of this week or first of next. Shipping it through my work address and getting our freight discount has already saved my $250+ on shipping alone. I will post my order on here to see if any thinks I am a little short on supplies. I never have done this amount of glass work so a couple of opinions couldn't hurt.

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in the same "boat" as you. Pun intended.

Well, different boat, but similar resto.

I ordered my materials about a month ago, and had the shipped from Ontario to Saskatchewan (that's about half way across Canada), the entire order was placed on a pallet, and it only cost me $130 for shipping. I was expecting much higher. Lesson learned, bulk up on the order and send it freight, not by courier.

Status
Not open for further replies.