My 1990 Baretta Phaser 230 OB Project

The new engine arrives on Monday and the captains chairs by the 19th. Now to dig all of my boat parts out of three of my buildings and my buddies barn and get the centrally located. I’m excited to finally be able to bring this almost 30 year old boat back to life and get it on the water.

Pictures next week, if I can remember how to do that! I guess I should look into my photobucket account and see if I can get back in it.

New front seats arrived yesterday. I like them and they are comfy. I bought them on Amazon, about $100 per seat cheaper than any others like it I found.

Attachments

• photo309069.jpg
    photo309069.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309070.jpg
    photo309070.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309071.jpg
    photo309071.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
Here's a picture of the outside hull from this past summer after a wash and new tires on the trailer.

Attachments

• photo309072.jpg
    photo309072.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0

Chris51280

Ensign
I got one like this for the captains chair. They are looking good. Mine is grey and I found the matching vinyl at sailrite for the rest of the upholstery.

I brought the engine home yesterday and tonight I shoe horned the old girl in the shop.I found that I do have some floor to replace (about a sheet and a half as it looks now), even thought this thing hasn't been on the water since the capped was pulled and the bottom gone through. I guess sitting outside for 6 years under a cover and pitched high in the front wasn't enough to keep it good. Not a big deal, at least now I will know where the gas tank is since they forgot to drill a hole for the pickup access.

Now I need to get the old engine out. Then cut the floor out and hang the boat from the rafters with some 4x4 supports and an additional 2x6 on my trusses. Then I can get to the cracked part of the hull above the bunk and do some trailer repairs at my father in laws. I wish I could afford to quit my job and work on the boat full time, that would be more fun. Come on weather warm up consistently! With the boat in the shop I have too much crap in there to fire up the wood stove. More updates as they come.

The old engine is out! Now I can start looking at the deck and start cutting out the bad so I know what all I need to repair it. As well I need to get the lumber to get her hoisted off the trailer for the crack repair in the hull and some work on the trailer. Small progress, but there is work being done.

Attachments

• photo309561.jpg
    photo309561.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309562.jpg
    photo309562.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
I tried to drain the oil out of the old engine today. Lots of water and then the thick nasty crude. I also got the rear blocked up and was starting to block the front and pull the trailer forward a foot when I realized I wouldn't be able to shut the overhead door. I'll wait now until Saturday and a couple of my buddies are coming over to assist. Although I may get it done in the next day or two by myself, I have a chain hoist coming in tomorrow and will run a couple of 4x4's and a beam up on my truss and raise the bow enough to get the trailer out in one pull.

Attachments

• photo309600.jpg
    photo309600.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309601.jpg
    photo309601.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309602.jpg
    photo309602.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 0
The floor doesn't look good either. It doesn't appear that they even put resin on the back side of the floor. I found places where the CSM wasn't even wet out properly and there is no drainage between compartments, well there is now that I drilled some holes. I drained about 12 gallons out of the areas around the fuel cell and the foam is all wet too. It sucks that my buddy had spent over $8k getting this thing done once and I believe that was about, or less than 10 years ago.

Tomorrow I will pull the fuel cell and eventual clean and pressure test it. That was supposed to have been done, but the thing is filthy and greasy. Once that cell is out I can drill into the area where the ski locker used to be, they had covered over it and sealed it up. Not sure if I will put that back just for some added stroage, or close it up. Either way I will be installing some drainage front to back. I just hope through this I find good wood like I think is at the front seat areas and I don't have to decap it.

Attachments

• photo309676.jpg
    photo309676.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309677.jpg
    photo309677.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309678.jpg
    photo309678.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That sucks, not too surprising but it still sucks. But at least you will know its done right this time!

Got some more work done this morning. This wears me out.I am just about in to good floor up near the front seats, but I'm going to cut another 12-16" forward to verify. Very happy the fuela cell was empty, it came out with ease. Getting the foam out isn't too bad, I have a long serrated knife the previous home owner left in the wall in the shop and it works well. Taking a break for the rest of the day. Time for a shower and the Busch race before some buddies show up to drink some good beer. Probably back at it and get it all cut out tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo309804.jpg
    photo309804.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309805.jpg
    photo309805.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309806.jpg
    photo309806.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309807.jpg
    photo309807.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0

Chris51280

Ensign
As they say, drill some test holes and see how they are. The top of the stringer not covered is not a good sign.

I had to take a break from teh boat to do some other much needed outdoor projects and move my camper down to teh Ohio River and set all that up. I figure after Memorial Day weekend I will start getting teh new wood put back in and glassed up.

So I have a question, marine plywood or CDX? Marine seems to be a bit hard to locate and if I plan on applying resin to the bottom, would CDX be sufficient? Also looking at 2-3 layers of CSM on top and gel coat.

Chris51280

Ensign
As kong as it is rated outdoor and is not pressure treaded. The lower the grade, the more voids you have. Marine plywood is not necessary. Menards has a lot of variety if they are in your area

I found ACX and Marine Grade at Menards. It's a bit out of my way, but I can't find it anywhere close. Think I'll get three sheets of the ACX. I cleaned the fuel cell today with Purple Power. I thought the thing was black, turns out more of a pale reddish color that was caked in black grease and grime. I'm doing small things on the boat, but I'm way off my original schedule, life happens. The new plan is to at least have it on the water this year for break in of the new engine. I'll take a weekend off here soon and do some more on the floor.

Good news is most of the stringers appear to be alright. I did some core drills that were dry and will have to maybe replace one full stringer if I can cut out the bad 3-4' and maybe sister one along side it. I will glass in the tops of all of them and I will at minimum put resin on the bottom of the deck.

Still not sure what to do about drainage though. I know some boats are sealed up and some are not. This one was supposed to have been and look where I am now. That makes me lean more towards draining everything back to the bilge. I have the idea of running a piece of 1" conduit through the existing foam in the bow that I am not working on to try and get a channel from the bow back. Not sure yet how to get the rest of the channels in and still pour foam after decking. I've seen some ideas around here and need to look again. Anyway, peace out and have a good one, this is going, but going slow.