New vinyl for 1988 Bayliner Capri

seanmthompson

Recruit
Hey all, first time on the forums here. Love this site and all the help it offers.

On to the question! Inherited a 1988 Bayliner Capri end of last summer. Runs well and is in overall pretty good condition for a boat of its age. Most of the vinyl though has seen better days. From what I've read on here, it doesn't sound too difficult for a DIY job of re-wrapping everything. Don't want anything fancy, just solid white straight wrap around everything (want to avoid sewing as I have no experience with it).

Marine vinyl is sold by the yard, for about 10-20 bucks. How many yard sheets will I need to purchase to re-cover everything? Job includes: bow seats and panels, both main side panels, and back jump seats. (haven't figured out what I'm doing with the main driver and passenger seats as those are the complicated fold down kind)

Any advice on what vinyl to purchase, how much of it to purchase, and what I should ballpark for cost would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!

rlamothe

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New vinyl for 1988 Bayliner Capri

I just did/ had my 87'capri done. I did the side panels because I was able to do it with stapes. I had the cushions done because I don't know about sewing I purchased the lunge seats because my upholstery guy said making them would be a pain. Look at Jo Ann fabrics they sell marine vinyl and foam. Good luck

seanmthompson

Recruit

Hey rlamothe,

thanks for the reply. May I ask how much vinyl you had to buy? I thinking of purchasing online as it seems to be a little less than store prices, but not really sure how many yards I'd need.

Also any pictures you have of the re-done interior for inspiration? I'd love to see how your looks.

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I get my stuff from this guy...
Nuvtex Crocodile Print Faux Leather Vinyl - by the yard items in Trimjobber Canvas Vinyl and Fabric store on eBay!

Based on the Design of your boat, My Guess-Ti-Mate would be approximately 10-12 yards. Approx. $120 bucks of Vinyl should do the job. Marine Vinyl is typically 60" wide and a yard is 36" so 10 yards would be 60" wide by 360" long. Sewing is NOT that hard to do especially on straight stitching. You can get a Machine on CL for $50 bucks. and YouTube will teach you how in 30 mins.

seanmthompson

Recruit

Thanks woodonglass. Those are great prices for marine vinyl. And thanks for the advice on how much to purchase. I'm considering working on this with my wife and doing the sewing..we just need some one to borrow a sewing machine from, I'm sure one of our friends has one. Ill keep you guys updated on the progress :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

There are several Threads here on the forum with some great tips, vids etc on how to do the sewing for your seats. You should do some searching and studying. I bet you'll be able to do it with great success.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lot depends on how intricate the design is and the shapes of the panels. odd shapes tend to eat up fabric. here is my 16' checkmate with a good amount of design work. 15 yard of fabric.IMG_5429.jpgIMG_5428.jpgIMG_5431.jpg

Galentheboatkiller

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to do the same thing you are, but decided to purchase these helm seats DISCOUNT! Large Bucket CLHS2901 Helm Seat and am going to purchase my fabric from them so I can have matching fabric throughout the boat. I will also be having to learn to sew to recover my bow seating and make a rear bench seat along with a sundeck for the back of my boat.

Since this question is along the lines of this post, what type of used sewing machine is recommended to be able to handle the thickness of the marine vinyl?

Galen

seanmthompson

Recruit

There are several Threads here on the forum with some great tips, vids etc on how to do the sewing for your seats. You should do some searching and studying. I bet you'll be able to do it with great success.

Thanks. I'll definitely check those out. I'm thinking for the side panels I'll just do a wrap with a stripe. But for the seat cushions I may want to do something a little more flashy with some color. Thanks again for all the advice.

seanmthompson

Recruit

Those are nice looking buckets! I think we are going to stick with the double seats that are stock (although I do love bucket seats) only because we find ourselves with lots of friends out on the boat and want to have as much seating available as possible. Keep us posted on your progress!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I bought an Old Morse 4300(1970's model) for $75 and it sews thru 6 layers of vinyl with no problems)

th