1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

The target date has arrived for my 1978 Sea Nymph SS160 restoration. She had a half way done resto a decade ago and now is need of some serious work, including some maintenance on the Johnson. Here is my walk around video in glorious 1080p.

Last edited by Watermann; July 4th, 2013, 05:35 PM.
    1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
    1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

Re: 1978 Sea Nymph SS160 resto

Pics of my SN 160 on first day of tear down.

Building the motor stand inside the garage with forced 220 heat and my helper.

End of first day tear down job.

Last edited by Watermann; January 6th, 2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

She'll fix up real purdy.

What's all that white stuff all over everything? Some kind of volcanic ash? Did Mt St Helens blow again and they just haven't reported it on the news?
      I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

Originally posted by jigngrub View Post
        She'll fix up real purdy.

What's all that white stuff all over everything? Some kind of volcanic ash? Did Mt St Helens blow again and they just haven't reported it on the news?
        Thanks, I sure hope so...

Nasty stuff is over a foot deep and I'm sure tired of it. Thinking about kicking the wife's Buick to the curb and backing the boat inside. Not sure if I need more problems tho...

Comment

Today I was able to get the back deck off, all the pumps out and the transom removed. Then went to the lumber yard and got my special order 3/4" 7 layer marine grade ply. I've never seen plywood like this before or paid as much either for that matter. After seeing my 35 year old original transom was still in fair condition (although getting soft) I'm thinking the new wood will be far stronger. After seeing both done here, I decided to use glue to laminate the 2 pieces of transom ply rather than epoxy resin, mainly the cost and ease.

Last edited by Watermann; January 6th, 2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

That glue looks like it's a product that's similar to Gorilla Glue, make sure to clamp AND screw the 2 transom layers really well. The glue is likely to foam & expand as it starts to cure. And do your best to keep it off everything you don't WANT glued.

The marine ply look great, better 'cause it cost ya.... good work so far
            Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

I used Gorilla glue to glue my transom and just my .02 worth, but you might consider getting more than that one bottle if you didnt already. I got the 18oz bottle and used just about the entire bottle. I screwed from the outside inward in like a spiral pattern, still had some oozing but when i cut the transom to shape i had a nice even layer.
              Infantry win firefights. Tanks win battles. Artillery win wars.

84 Bomber Scout W/ 70hp Johnson *Under Construction*

Comment

H20 Man,

Congrats on opening your thread. What a good looking boat!

You mentioned a halfway resto about a decade ago, just curious how long you have owned her?

After seeing all the rotted transoms I am amazed that both yours and mine were in such good shape. I agree you are doing correct thing though by replacing.

I'm thinkin that 55 on the back is just about at max hp for boat and am guessing it flys.

Very nice.
                1985 Celebrity 21'
                1973 Chris Craft 30'
                1979 S/N FM 161

S/N resto underway https://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...to-587503.html

Remember:
                "Rust never sleeps !" --- Neil Young
                "There is never just one thing wrong with a boat" --- Travis McGee

Comment

Originally posted by Streetgang View Post
                  H20 Man,

Congrats on opening your thread. What a good looking boat!

You mentioned a halfway resto about a decade ago, just curious how long you have owned her?

After seeing all the rotted transoms I am amazed that both yours and mine were in such good shape. I agree you are doing correct thing though by replacing.

I'm thinkin that 55 on the back is just about at max hp for boat and am guessing it flys.

Very nice.
                  Thanks SG, In 2003 I picked her up for $1200 and have enjoyed many hours on the water. I fixed up some bad decking, did some carpet and bought new seats when I first got it, hence the half resto. The max according to the hull plate is 70 HP but the extra weight of the 70 to add 15 HP would be just about a wash I'm thinking. By GPS loaded up with 200+ LB 2 guys she goes 36 MPH. Here's my plate.

Last edited by Watermann; January 6th, 2018, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jbcurt00 View Post
                    That glue looks like it's a product that's similar to Gorilla Glue, make sure to clamp AND screw the 2 transom layers really well. The glue is likely to foam & expand as it starts to cure. And do your best to keep it off everything you don't WANT glued.

The marine ply look great, better 'cause it cost ya.... good work so far
                    I was thinking about using some fender washers to spread the force of the screw heads and sink them in where I have to already drill holes. Say in places like the splashwell tubes, motor mounts and using my transom saver too to bridge the gap for even more force.

I went out back at the lumber yard to get the ply, they said Ned was out there to load me up. As I drive around the corner, I see ole Ned tossing a sheet of ply on the concrete up against a truck. I about had a coronary after paying through the nose for that stuff. Got out to yell at him and turns out it was the junk ply they had top and bottom to loving sandwich my marine ply.

Originally posted by Bomber Goober View Post
                    I used Gorilla glue to glue my transom and just my .02 worth, but you might consider getting more than that one bottle if you didnt already. I got the 18oz bottle and used just about the entire bottle. I screwed from the outside inward in like a spiral pattern, still had some oozing but when i cut the transom to shape i had a nice even layer.
                    Thanks for the firsthand advice, the label says the bottle will do 16 sq feet but I was skeptical about that.

Comment

Just posting up so I can subscribe and follow along. She'll make a great fishing rig when you are all set with her - tons of deck space on this one!

I've never seen that version of glue before, very interesting
                      1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild
                      1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild - SOLD
                      1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild
                      1980 16' Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild (swapped)
                      1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild (sold)

115' of Beach on Lake Huron

Comment

Nice boat. I'd like to follow along as well.

Always good to sea another sea nymph project.
                        My Project Thread: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

sigpic

Comment

End of the first weekend of the resto and I hit my goal, to have everything gutted. I do now officially have a hatred for black electrical tape. I know the rules say no bashing but I would like to bash in the guys noggin that cut the 2 round speaker holes in the little bulkhead. They had been covered up with some thin ply with carpet and I guess I saw them before but forgot all about it. I should look on the bright side, at least the guy didn't put in 10" subs.

Some nice light, dry Styrofoam to bag up and toss is all that's left. Then the clean up begins on my next weekend so it will be slowing down on the progress.

Time to watch some football now and relax with a barley soda.

Last edited by Watermann; January 6th, 2018, 03:57 PM.

Comment

It's hard to tell from the pic, but is that an "I" beam keel stringer?
                            I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

Originally posted by jigngrub View Post
                              It's hard to tell from the pic, but is that an "I" beam keel stringer?
                              The keel stringer is a box, here's a better pic.

Last edited by Watermann; January 6th, 2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X