STEERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

duck210

Recruit
I recently purchased an old boat for parts, and am wondering if anyone has attempted to shorten a single line steering cable? I do not know the brand of the unit, but it's complete. I need to lose about 4'. There are no markings on the gearbox, so I can't cross reference it to find a new compatible cable.

D

DJ

Re: STEERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

duck,<br /><br />Not any way that I know of. That is a VERY important safety item. You do not want to fool around here.<br /><br />If you have room, you can loop it to take up the four feet. Otherwise, get a new cable.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I would not even consider what your thinking of doing as an option... Alot is riding on that cable (your life) so don't chance a jury-rigged cable, PLEASE!... I've seen one break on a boat that was moving along at a pretty good clip, and it was not a pretty site... :( <br /><br />Take a look on E-bay and type "Teleflex" in the seach box... It'll come up with a bunch, many of which are $Cheap enough$... I bought the whole brand new Morse steering system (Helm, brackets, and cable) on E-bay for $36 bucks total, shipped to my front door... ;)

NOSLEEP

Commander

I tried to repair one once, thought i could<br />silver solder the cable. It worked great for<br />a while. That year I went fishing on Slave Lake<br />and it failed. Never do that again.

duck210

Recruit

The small amount of money for a cable is not an issue. What I really need to find out is the compatibility from one product to another. Are to cables interchangable from one manufacturer to the next? There are no markings on the helm to identify it. I could e-mail a picture of it if anyone would<br />like a stab at it.

D

DJ

Hi duck,<br /><br />I'll take a look. Senf them to:<br /><br />djohns19@peoplepc.com

Bondo

Staff member

duck,<br /> It's cheaper to replace the Whole Thing.....<br />Kits are less than a bare cable...<br />ALLOT Easier too....