custom made t top

texsguns

Seaman
here we go more questions i would like to build a top for my lil boat but as always i want different im thinkin a t top would look great daughter has a industrial grade sewing machine/fatherinlaw is a welder/im kinda crafty myself but befor i start i need 2 questions answered would like to design it to where canvas is removable at any given time therefor i thought of using these snap buttons type ummm fergot what they are called. thinking i could remove instantly question is if top is on would it hold while moving or would it the wind unsnap it, my boat is a 15 ft er with a 40 hp motor assuming it will do about 40 mph maybe??? 2nd question assuming 40 mph is correct would 1/2 in tubing be stiff enough to build frame or do i need to go to 1 " pipe thanks folks

texsguns

Seaman
Re: custom made t top

c'mon folks i got tools out waiting fer y'alls opinions please

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1/2" pipe sounds wimpy to me. I'd use 1" or better. Maybe 1" or 1 1/4" for legs and then use slightly smaller for the frame work. Go to your local marina or boat dealer and look at tops on other boats to get some ideas and feel for what size pipes and proportions they use.<br /><br />Taco Metals sell anodized tubing.

Bondo

Staff member

i built an 8'X 10' semi-rigid bimini for my boat out of 1 1/2" alu. conduit... get it at your local ele. supply house.... it'll take 75mph on the trailer,+ i can stand on it....<br />anodized tubing is a pain to weld.... the anodizing Must be ground off the joints, as the anodize coating will NOT conduct eletricity(welding).......<br />There are Many styles of snaps, velcro, lashing,etc.... do a search,+ you'll find something that'll work for your applicaction.....

texsguns

Seaman

ok bigger is better 1"or more i plan to paint it and doubt iwould be hittin salt water with it. now another related question were running out of area to the point we might be kinda cramp carring 4 folks could the t top be used to carry stuff on top without compromising being top heavy??? possible (ice chest/dufflebag/etc etc thanks fer y alls responses

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you need a bigger boat. 4 people, with tons of gear.. cooler on the top of the t-top..!! I can picture it now. LOL

ob

Admiral

TexasGuns, I've got one on my 15ft whaler that the wife and I made ourselves. 150.00 total.<br />Used 1" stainless tubing throughout.Upper frame is one piece bent rectangular with one seam weld.Bent slight radias in front and rear to shed water and for styling.Incorporated stainless rail T- fittings for verticals and center support poles as bends were being made and before butt welding top frame.<br /><br />The top sits on three legs ,two verticals that fit into flush mount stainless fittings that are drilled and pin bolted, and one center angle support that is attached with clevis fitting to lower surface of center console.2' above flush fittings on stainless windshield rail I attached two additional supports for verticles using weedeater t-bar clamps. :) They worked perfectly.The whole top can be removed or installed in two minutes using a 7/16" wrench.The canvas top(blue)picked up at an awning shop(wife sewed edge work using UV resistant thread)and we punched holes around perimeter and installed stainless eyelets.Then used nylon cord and trampoline whipped it to frame.had dozens of guys at the launch asking where they could get one.Wife and I were kind of proud of the finished product and the price was right.<br /> Bought 2 20ft. 1" stainless tubing joints for 35.00 ea.The rest was just fittings bought at boaters world and 15.00 for the canvas.Removeable design makes it real handy to store rig in garage.Whole assy. weighs less than 30 lbs.Hope this gives you an idea to go on.<br /> Oh, and make sure to fabircate it with the front riding slightly lower than rear or you'll get the parachute effect. :D

texsguns

Seaman

thanks for replyin ob :) let me see if'n i can describe what my plans are excuse my crappy explanation :confused: as like yours 1 piece ring rectungular with one weld(brazing).possibly 2nd ring rectungular on inner area about2 inches higher for added strength and style held up by 1'tubing x2'in length . now the post1' or better would also be welded to the top rectungular ring .and somehow using a slightly bigger tubing that would be permenantly fastened to lower section floor or lower wall (side)of boat so the post of top would slip into and locked w/cotter pins or simular thereby making whole top removable BECAUSE I DONT BELIEVE IF FASTENED TO TOP AREA(BOW)ONLY ABOUT 10 GUAGE ALUMINUM WOULDNT HAVE ENOUGH STRENGTH TO HOLD WHILE MOVIN ABOUT WATER AT A DECENT SPEED without havin to remove canvas i thought of punchin holes using eyelets then loopin rope to hold canvas but would almost make casting impossible and to troubleing to remove rope and canvas :mad: therefore i would like to use these snap type buttons but would like to know would they hold if'n moving at roughly 40 mph??? these are my plans hopin they will work i like being original too sorry i still cant recall the name of these snap type buttons looks like the one on jeans

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

OB- I have a little 15'whaler as well. you wouldn't happen to have a pic of your setup would you? That rig of yours sounds nice. Post here or email if you want. Thanks Jbeaux2000@aol.com

ob

Admiral

Beaux , I'll try to get you a pic of set-up.It'll take a while as I don't have capability on my dinky computer set-up.Texasguns yours sounds like a neat project.Not sure if there is special term other than snaps for the items you mention.But another possible means of quick release attachment is Vel-cro straps.