A bare hull

pittspilot

Cadet
Hi All<br /><br />I bought this fiberglass boat for cheap. It was a deal because it came with a strong 20 horse motor, trolling motor, fishfinder and all the other goodies. <br /><br />However the hull is junk. It is beatup, leaking, and rides badly. It attempted to do a Red October Crash Dive today following a couple of small waves at a slow speed. It is also a wet ride in any wind condition, but soaking in a quarter headwind.<br /><br />So I want to replace it with an aluminum hull, 14-15 feet long, semi deep V (20 Hp must drive it well), with the ability to have side console steering. It also needs to be inexpensive. I would like the hull to be bare becuase I could put all the good stuff from the other boat in to this boat.<br /><br />I live an Northern California, Sacramento. Where would you go to find a manufacturer that could help me? Where would you go for a used one? And yes my eyes are glued to ebay and the classifieds. The trick is finding an aluminum boat w/ nothing in it and no trailer.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: A bare hull

Purchase a fair size aluminum hull that is stripped (designed for a tiller steer motor) in the 14-16 foot range. Now you can build a console and design the interior on your own.<br /><br />Many people purchase stripped aluminum boats and turn them into fine fishing boats.<br /><br />Bob

amtsst

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This might sound silly but I come from a rural area and every now and then, somebody would strip a hull and take it to the dump. I one every now and then that looked like a lot of work.<br /><br />As far as a trailer goes, consider having one made for you. Here's how I would go about that.<br /><br />Call Northern Tool (www.northerntool.com) and order an axle, matching tires, and a 2" ball hitch coupler.<br /><br />Then I'd take that assemply to a local machine shop with some specs (like weight and length) and have them make the trailer for me. I bet they'd make a steel bunk trailer for you for about $700 or less depending on how pretty you want it. You'll have a brand new trailer for under $1000! You will have to prime/paint it though.

amtsst

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OOPS. Wasn't paying attention. You *Don't* need a trailer. <br /><br />ok. I'll keep my eyes open for you!

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

go to www.continuouswave.com/whaler and go to the marketplace.<br /><br />I have a Boston Whaler 13 and rides dry, no matter how big the waves are. You can find some pretty cheap hulls out there since the basic 13' hull has been made since 1958.<br /><br />I think you'll be happier with the BW than any aluminum boat. I have mine rigged up with a center console, front and rear seating, and a 35hp merc. A lot of others run 20-40hp on these boats. With my 35, I can cruise at about 35mph.

D

DJ

pittspiolt,<br /><br />Don't forget to look at boat rental places. They frequently sell units that are sound, yet look a little rough.

pittspilot

Cadet

Thanks for all your help<br /><br />The problem with the BW is weight. Those are heavy boats. Also, I plan to gut the interior. I will keep an eye out though.

cannonfodder

Seaman

I took an old Sunray and made a center console 14 ft. Was simply wonderful espesially in rough water. Just a thought.<br /><br />Bryce