Carpet glue in cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,

I'm modifying the layout in my 17ft fish and ski... I'm almost ready to start gluing carpet.

I'm using this glue 512 fl. oz. 6700 Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Adhesive and Glue-6700-4 at The Home Depot

I've used it in the past and I like it's workablility however I've never used it in cold weather... By the time I'm ready for it next week it's going to be in the high 40's low 50's during the day and a little below freezing at night. What do you guys think? I don't care how long it takes to cure, as long as it WILL cure. I have a wood stove in the shop that keeps it at a nice 60 degrees when I'm in there but it's small and only holds about 2 hours of wood so I'm not going to realistically be able to heat it for the 72hrs the glue is supposed to have. Plus the shop isn't insulated very well and takes a lot wood to heat it.

What do ya'll think?

Thanks,
Austin

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Carpet glue in cold weather

You should keep the adhesive in the house and warm before you use it. Install your carpet when you have a couple of days off so you can keep the heater stoked, then fire up the heater at night for a few nights after.

That's a latex (water based) adhesive and if it freezes before it cures I don't think you'll be happy with the results.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I carpeted my boat a few winters back in my freezing garage. I chose to use contact cement and had good results.

In fact, even in warm weather I've had bad results with the latex based adhesives. Regardless of conditions, I would suggest using contact cement for gluing carpet.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

i used that stuff on mine its seems to be ok, but then i keep mine covered or indoors when not in use and havent done any tow sports that would bring alot of water aboard as yet. i used a trowel and was probably in the 60 degree range mid 40s at night when i did it... it took a few days to cure up in those conditions so i would go any cooler

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I carpeted my boat a few winters back in my freezing garage. I chose to use contact cement and had good results.

In fact, even in warm weather I've had bad results with the latex based adhesives. Regardless of conditions, I would suggest using contact cement for gluing carpet.

What kind of contact cement did you use? I guess that may be my only option...

I've used the DAP Wellwood stuff before for other things... Not sure how it works for carpet though.

Thanks,
Austin

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'm very familiar with the Dap Weldwood contact cement, I use it a lot. It has a minimum working temperature of 65*F.

Maybe you should just wait until the weather warms back up in the spring to carpet your boat?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Weldwood is very good used on carpet in a boat MHO.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Weldwood is very good used on carpet in a boat MHO.

I totally agree, it's much more water resistant and much stronger when when the carpet gets wet than the latex based adhesives.

I won't use latex based adhesives in a marine environment, I've had some bad results with it and from now on it's solvent based adhesives only for me.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

FYI, I used weldwood last winter in lower temps than reccomended by the can and it worked fine. At least I didn't have any prob's this summer with carpet. I was in the low 40's F. I let the glue tack up on both floor and carpet before i pressed together, I did have to wait longer in the cold temps. I folded the carpet back on itself and only glued a foot or two each time depending on what I had to fit it around..

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I decided to wait until the weekend it will be up to 50 on sunday and lows above freezing for about 3 days after the weekend. I'll do it in the shop and try to keep it warm for at least 24hrs and hope for the best after that. The can says 72 hrs for the contact cement to cure but I think I'll be alright...

Waiting until spring isn't an option, we're planning a trip to the FL Keys in January and I'll be taking the boat... Plus, if it's warm enough to glue carpet it's boating weather...

Austin

MRS

Commander

I just did mine with the adhesive warm in the day time here but does drop to 40 0r 38 degrees at night. I did use a carpet roller when installing seemed to really set it down good rolled the heck out of it. I will not touch it or trim or vacume till this weekend that will give it six drying days looked good and felt like it stuck good. Guess I will find out this weekend....
Plus the stripers here are going crazy and can't take my boat out cause of carpet.:mad:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It's a law of nature: The fish will always be biting good and feeding like crazy when you're working on your boat!

MRS

Commander

It's a law of nature: The fish will always be biting good and feeding like crazy when you're working on your boat!

Amen, Brother now I find out got to go to parents house this coming weekend thats ok but I know them stripers planned it this way. I will get even with them.....:lol:

majordadsage

Cadet
I know this is an older thread but, that is okay......I am needing some advice/reassurance. I have my Tracker Pro Team completely apart. I am replacing the carpet. I can do the lids and interior panels in my basement. I have 3 large pieces of carpet that will be done "in the boat"....the rear deck, the cockpit floor, the front deck, and the side wall under the gunnel....I don't have a heated garage in which to work so, I am doing this in my driveway as weather permits...I am in Southern Indiana and the temps have been in 40's and 50's the past few days.....gets colder at night. some of you stated you installed the carpet in cold temps...30's - 40's? The other concern I have is applying the DAP Contact Cement...can you brush it on or, are troweling it? Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd roll it on with a 6" roller and I wouldn't do it when temps are below 50. You could make a Tent from a large tarp and heat the areas to be carpeted. Should be easy to get the temps up to 60+ if you tarp it. Just make sure and use Electric heat. NO FLAME!!! The Contact cement is HIGHLY flammable.

Status
Not open for further replies.