Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice pictures there Red. If those bilge switches are failing because of current issues, you can always install some relays to handle the current and still have the switches installed for looks. And install a relay that is capable of handling the huge current is simple and a ton cheaper as well. Just a suggestion.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
I think they’re failing because of bad design, but I might be wrong.

One is from Whale and the other from Quick, both made it until september this year and now suddenly nothing happens. I’ve tried cleaning them but can’t get them working consistently for more than 30 minutes.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
It certainly is possible. This summer we reached the Åland islands, we trot along at 7kts so it’s going to take a long time though. I’ll plot a possible route and see how long!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
It’s ~700nm from Helsinki. That’s a hundred hours of driving at about 4l of diesel by the hour. That’s about 600€(=$) there and the same back. Doable but we’ll need a bit more than a month off to be able to do it nice and easy.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It’s ~700nm from Helsinki. That’s a hundred hours of driving at about 4l of diesel by the hour. That’s about 600€(=$) there and the same back. Doable but we’ll need a bit more than a month off to be able to do it nice and easy.

Maybe you need to upgrade the power plant of your boat to some Nuclear setup. It would give you range and speed that you don't have now. But I think the cost will be interesting. :laugh:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
I’ll need to talk with the russians in that case...

Cut those extra flaps away. Will apparently increase speed and the brand new custom made prop will hopefully give us a bit more speed and handling.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
433B0AE3-D77C-4635-A3B0-4F974E8F96A7.jpeg

495DBB06-B88F-4D41-83A0-85578674D237.jpeg

488EC95B-5475-44EB-970D-6BB92E65C4CE.jpeg

New prop! Will be extremely interesting to follow up on all the eventual changes. Hoping for a bit less vibration and noise.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve always been too busy to take photos on our fishing trips! To be honest we haven’t had much luck as of yet. We caught some baltic herring and local prawns during the summer months, had little luck with perch for some reason.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Just got off the phone with Bob, the inventor of the Ultra bilge switches. Super friendly and kind, he tried helping me as best as he could but I think I asked the wrong questions :)

Tried replacing the two broken electric field switches and ended up scratching my head with the shower sump pump.

It was wired to be on auto all the time and had two leads coming in. What I can’t wrap my head around is how I could use the Ultra in the same way without pulling new wires to the pump, which is far, far away from the switch.

Maybe doing a three way splice with the red auto wire and one of the brown switch wires would do it?

Bob also told me that he grew up in a town called Lantana in Florida, apparently the populace is/was 5% Finnish. Knew everything about our sauna antics and seemed to have enjoyed it. Would be fun to visit a place like that sometime.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Love the pup..Breed? Looks like white shepherd. Just added to my family what they lol call a gerberian shepsky.
White shepherd and husky. He looks real comfortable.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
White shepherd yeah, called Haiku. He’s huge(50kg)and quite the personality. Very vocal and only calm for real when he’s positioned in the middle of the ”pack” from where he can see everyone.

A husky-white shepherd sounds intense! Good way to burn calories making sure that friend is tired enough to sleep!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I’ve always been too busy to take photos on our fishing trips! To be honest we haven’t had much luck as of yet. We caught some baltic herring and local prawns during the summer months, had little luck with perch for some reason.

So that is what fish look like. If I ever get back on the water, I have to see if I could caught a fish. I know better then to hope for more then one... :drum:

Oh, I also like the dog. He looks great! :thumb:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Actually one of the largest calmest dogs I've ever seen or had. Got lucky!
he thinks he's a lapdog.Check my posts on my forum and go back a couple. Yaknow if you need something to fall asleep too. Pics.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
He looks pretty happy with the plane! Good to hear he’s calm, makes everything so much easier. This 110lbs jerk of ours acts like he was just born from time to time. Couldn’t imagine having him in up in a plane cockpit while flying :)

The husky sounds risky but maybe it’s just the right match, keeps the size at bay and possibly the herding instinct too, could make for more independence.